What is this "Apple Logo with iBook Purchase"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SteveC, Feb 6, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

This is so funny...

Amazon.com link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/r...id=1107714869/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1?v=glance&s=pc

First, there is no image available. They expect you to spend $1.16 million without seeing the item you're buying? ;) I'm no Chief Marketing Officer, but that seems like a lot of cash to expect consumers to shell out for something they've never seen. :p Second, you have to buy it with an iBook to get it at the discounted price of 1.16 mil? Great deal. :D lol...

Does Amazon do this as a product placeholder or for testing or what on earth is this listing for? :eek:

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

to be totally honest with you im not very surprised. Amazon is almost as big as microsoft or sony when it comes to ripping people off. That's been my experience at least, im sure that others are different, but im no longer an Amazon shopper...

3. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

To be perfectly fair, it's not really amazon that is selling it. It's really an amazon outlet Atleast, I think that's what they call it.

4. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you saying they expect someone to buy it for that price? LOL Tha'd be nuts if it happened.

nichos - hmm, good point. It looks like you're right?

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I read a thread yesturday where they were selling a PowerBook for like ~$100,000. Or it could have been million. If I find it, ill post it.

6. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

You mean this? :p

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not too bad, at least shipping was free... :rolleyes:

8. AdmittedPCuser macrumors member

If you look at the heading it says "APPLE LOGO KENSINGTON BAG W IBOOK PURCHASE". It sounds like Amazon is (was) running some kind of promo where you get a free Apple-branded Kensington bag when you buy an iBook and this is the promo SKU for the free bag so that Amazon can keep track of inventory.

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

maybe that kinda explains the 1.6 mill bag, but that doesnt explain the $99,999 powerbook. but why would amazon let a page like that be public? it really just looks like a case of poor quality control. theres probably someone that sets up the site w/o knowing the retail value, plugs in some number then waits for the actual retail price or for some program to pull the retail price from a database. somewhere in there someone messed up the programing and it got screwed up. but the poor quality control means noone is around checking for stuff like this so it ends up visible for consumers like us. i wouldnt buy anything from amazon, would you?

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I actually have that bag. I first got it without the Apple logo, because of a mix-up in the ordering, returned that an got the one with the Apple logo. It actually made all the difference. Without the logo it's just a plain, gray, boring Kensington laptop bag. With the very discrete logo it's almost stylish. Thumbs up for the version with the logo, thumbs dow without it.

So, the emphasis on the Apple logo is actually understandable... and that you get it free with an iBook seems like a good deal.

11. tubedogg macrumors regular

Yes, I would, and I do quite frequently. It must be nice to live in your world where nobody ever makes errors.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think Amazon has great prices, never been ripped off by them. How did you get ripped off, anyway?