What is this cable for??? came with macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NsK, Jan 21, 2007.

1. NsK macrumors member

sorry for being new.....I would like to know what is the purpose of this cable

[​IMG]

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That is to extend the powercord. You can take off the two prong power adapter and plug that one in to get a longer power adapter.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It can plug into the power adapter as an alternative to the plug head – does exactly the same job but gives you a longer range from the plug socket.

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Take a look at your Power Source, the little corner that you plug into the wall slides out. You can then plug in that cord right there and the cord becomes a bit longer. Do it in Vis Versa if you are traveling or moving your Mac around for convenience.

Of course, you dont need to do this at all. Just an option.

Edit: WOW, When I hit 'Reply' I was the first person! I need to take a typing class or something.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that it (obviously) gives you a ground on the plug as well, which is a very Good Thing for computers.

6. NsK thread starter macrumors member

cool...thats what I thought too but I wasn't sure about it...I didn't want to break the charger so better ask before....thanks to everyone hehe...

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

heh, thanks for bringing this up. I've had the damn thing sitting next to my desktop peecee for two months not knowing what it was.

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I agree, it's very important

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL Ironic that I was just posting around trying to get an extra one. :p (Which I found). Yeah, they come in handy. Another thing I like about them is that, if you have a sort of "home" base, then you can plug your brick in with that. Then you can keep the little plug handy, and just leave the thick cord on the wall and take the rest of the brick with you.

10. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

Except that the grounding prong doesn't do a single thing as far as I can tell. Yes, there are three prongs on the wall end of the cord, but only two get fed into the ac adapter (check out the end that slides into the adapter). So, it does nothing to ground the ac adapter.

This is the same style adapter that the ac adapter for the older generation iPods and the iMac G4 (maybe earlier ones, too?) used. The main function was that they could sell different cords in different countries without having to switch the actual ac adapter, but it also allowed for the adapter to be plugged in directly to the wall or surge protector without having to have a long cord (although, it does block and outlet which isn't all that convenient).

Cheers.

11. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

Its use has been well described above. I will however mention that its use is described in your manual which came with your macbook, along with what might be other useful information....

12. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

I haven't laughed this long in a long time...

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Ground is actually connected through the metal button that it slides onto.

14. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

I now see that on my old iBook adapter. Strangely, my iPod one (which is the only one that I glanced at) has a plastic latch.

Cheers.

15. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I actually didn't know what the cord was intended for until my buddy showed me. I was in awe. :p

16. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

The guy I bought my old iBook G4 from had no idea what it was for. I hadn't even seen the adapters before -- I took one look at them and figured it out instantly. He was pretty embarassed :p