What is this cable? (macpro, dvi-dvi)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wdhpgx, Aug 12, 2006.

1. wdhpgx macrumors newbie

So there were two "dvi" cables in the box with the MacPro. One is the DVI-VGA cable that's mentioned in the manual. The other appears to be a DVI-DVI cable, and I can't figure out what it's for or what it does. It's male-female, so essentially a 5" extension, which would seem silly. So I'm guessing it .. does something, in those 5 inches, but I don't know what.

The two cables were in little plastic bags, with two different model-type numbers: 603-8525 and 603-8471, but I can't find either of them on the web anywhere.

[​IMG]

2. Jopling macrumors 6502

Its probably used so you put that in your computer and then plug the monitor into it to reduce wear on your video card port. That way your dongle gets messed up and not your videocard. Just my guess.

3. reh macrumors 6502a

4. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I got one too.

My only guess is if you put your graphics card in a top slot and try to use a cinema display, the cable may not reach (I don't have one, so I don't know). Look at page 8 of the manual. Maybe because of the way the cables all come out of the one cable with the cinema display, there is not enough reach to get to the top PCI express slots, so they added this little extension cable.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

95% sure this is what it's in there for; they changed the port layout, and with multiple graphics cards the ports on the card can now farther away from the firewire/USB ports than the cable built in to a cinema display can reach. Therefore, 5" extension so you can plug it in properly. Was quite nice of them to toss it in, really--I can just imagine everybody getting home with their new Mac Pro and saying "My 30" ACD doesn't reach the ports!"

6. justgregk macrumors newbie

What is this cable?

That cable is included because you probably have a video card that has two DVI connectors on it. The conncectors on these cables are not very far apart. That cable is just a little bit narrower than a normal DVI connector and is provided to use just in case you have two connectors that are too wide to plug in to the connectors on your video card.

7. m3henn04 macrumors newbie

I didn't get one with my new Mac Pro that has the x1900xt dual dvi card in it. It is a nice surprise to find in a box since that cable would retail for about 50 USD.

8. stealiesubee macrumors newbie

Mine came with that same cable. I thought it had something to do with the dual-link stuff if you want to run a 30" ACD. I guess I was wrong.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I didn't get one either, just the VGA-to-DVI adapter.

10. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

didn't get one here either - and i have the x1900xt

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This is correct. Two wide DVI connectors might not both fit attached to the video card. The short extension is to allow two wide DVI connectors to fit.

12. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Does anyone know where I can get one of these DVI-DVI cords? I've looked on Apple's site and I can't find one! I need to get it because I want to run dual displays.

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

$18.50 shipped ;)

14. goMac macrumors 603

This. Exactly.

(Edit: Aggggghhhh old thread. Fooled. :( )