What is this green dot I'm hearing about

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gameaholic, Jul 18, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Well, just when I thought iPhone 4 had an awesome camera, I heard that when you take pictures, there is a green dot somewhere? Is it affecting a majority of iPhone 4 users? Is it a major problem? Didn't really find anything about this issue yet.

2. macrumors 6502a

Block

Take a picture against a white wall or a white piece of printer paper, and you will see a green spot if you have the issue. It's basically an issue with the camera and certain types of lighting--- whether this is an actual problem or something that all cameras have to deal with is up for debate.

3. macrumors demi-god

iPhone1

Mine has it. Looks like a glob of green in the middle of a white wall. Kinda looks like it is related to the coating they put on the lens glass. Hmm...

Goes away on non-all white photos. Mine is a launch day iPhone 4.

4. macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

It happens when taking a picture/video under florescent lighting.

[​IMG]

5. macrumors demi-god

iPhone1

Probably an Auto White Balance issue. Wish there was a manual mode for the camera.

6. macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

I don't think it is a White Balance issue. White Balance issues affect the entire color of the a shot where the iPhone 4 (and many other smartphones do the same thing) have a green dot in the middle.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the picture. Holy ---- that is a giant green dot! Does this green dot only appear in white walls or occasionally in other photos as well?

8. macrumors 6502a

Block

It affects most indoor photos where the majority of the colors are light/clear/white. Outdoors it's fine.

9. macrumors demi-god

It will appear on most shots under fluorescent lighting. It will show up when the flickering of the lights is faster than the shutter speed of the camera. It makes the lighting and white balance uneven. The electronic shutter on the iPhone is what makes the blob. The only fix is to change the lighting so that the flickering flouescent light has less effect.

10. macrumors 6502

I have this issue as well. Is this something that I can go to an Apple store and get a replacement? It would be a great excuse to get a new phone in hopes of fixing my antenna issue as well.

The green dot sucks. I frequently take pictures of items on a white background and this green splotch is starting to piss me off

11. macrumors regular

this.