What is this port? - AKA - Can't get head on B/W Powermac G3 Tower

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyeluvmyimac, May 6, 2006.

1. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

So I bought this old Powermac G3 Tower, but it came with this strange PCI graphics card that has an RCA Video In, S-Vid In, TV-Out, and some other port I don't recognize. I don't have any monitors or adapters that fit it, and none of my other graphics cards will fit the mobo (all AGP). So I bought this computer which I sadly cannot get into to use. Any ideas?

Here is a picture of the graphics card (its the one on the bottom)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/21254877@N00/141465550/

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

isn't that a standard VGA output?

edit, guess not.. weird. its not one of apple's old ACD ports from what i know of them.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It's a video-out port, I think it's a DB-15? I don't know for sure, though.

And lemme tell you, in regards to your title - I had problems when I was using an old G3 too, but now with my sexy new Mini, I have to fight the ladies off!

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thats the old style Macintosh monitor port. Thats what almost every Mac had from the Macintosh II up through the Beige G3s, the only exceptions being some of the Nubus Power Macs. You can find adapters for PC VGA out there usually pretty cheap.

Or you could find any beige Apple display and it will connect directly. The AppleVision 850 20" is a good choice.

Attached Files:

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

It is a DB-15 monitor port. You can use older Apple monitors (actually, many companies made DB-15 monitors for Macs) or get a DB-15 to VGA adapter if you want to use a newer monitor on it. It's a little confusing because PC's had (and often still have) DB-15 ports used as an input for joysticks and sound devices.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

My Lacie "Porsche" firewire hard drive's power supply port is EXACTLY the same as an ADB port. ADB keyboards and stuff fit in there perfectly, and the power adapter fits perfectly into the ADB port of my beige Macs. Obviously I don't dare plug in the other end.

How bizzare is that?

7. eyeluvmyimac thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, thanks so much everyone. Anyone know a good place to buy an adapter like that (in person, not online). Would Radio Shack or Best Buy have it? Sadly there are no Frys or CompUSA near me.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Micro Center
    Any old school Mac retailer or service center. Look in the Yellow Book.

9. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

If you can't find one, I have an extra one I no longer have use for that I could sell you for 10 shipped.