What is this used 12" Powerbook worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amin, Jul 20, 2005.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I am selling my old Powerbook and a colleague is thinking of buying. I want to set a fair price. The Powerbook was recently traumatically damaged, so Apple repaired it and in doing so replaced the LCD, battery, and bottom panel with all new parts. Here are the specs:
    867MHz processor (Rev A)
    640MB RAM
    Apple Care through 8/06
    Combo drive
    Airport Extreme card
    40GB hard drive
    New battery and display
    Tiger and iLife '05 retail discs included
    All original accessories/packaging/books included
    Excellent overall condition - 2 *very* subtle 1mm marks on aluminum cover and faint scratches on Apple light on cover - only noticeable on very close inspection. One 3mm faint scratch on bottom.
    I was thinking $700 was fair. Any thoughts?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think thats the low end of fair. I was thinking more of $750-800.

4. wide macrumors 6502a

I don't think it would sell for much more than $700 now, and once the new iBooks are released you could expect even less than that...the ibook will beat it in most (all?) categories.

in an ibook (right now) you get 333 MHz more, 10 gb less HD, less RAM (but upgradeable to 1280MB), better ports, less overheating, Airport Express built in (not sure if that's in your model), no scratches at all, and pretty much the new warranty plan. also take note that your friend could purchase an iBook for $900 off Amazon right now with their mail in rebate, and someone last week was selling iBooks (Buy-it-now) for $899 and they came with mail in rebates for $100, lowering the final price to around $825 shipped. I'd say that if you like your colleague, offer it at $650 or $700. Otherwise put it up on eBay and let people overbid on it.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Only the superdrive models sell for that much on ebay. You're right though, anywhere from $700-$800 would be good.

6. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

I forgot to mention in the original post that it has Airport Extreme installed/included and will include legitimate copies of OS 10.4 and iLife '05. I updated the original post with this info.

Thanks for all the input. Regardless of whom I sell to, it's good to know what it is worth before I sell.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that ~$700-800 is a fair price for your PowerBook G4.

8. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

The colleague decided not to buy it.

I put it on Ebay today at noon, and in three hours it sold for the "Buy It Now" price of $800 (including shipping).

These PBs hold their value well! I definitely got my money's worth over the past 2 years.