What is this world coming to?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Markleshark, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Oh. My. God.

Can you believe this story? What is this world/country coming too when those in PRISON can do that.

*Shakes head*

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you had any idea of what cold turkey was like, you'd be a little more forgiving. Foricible withdrawal from heroin/methadone is much like torture. I've seen it.

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

I highly doubt I would, to be honest.

I think its only good for them as well, as if it wasn't bad enough they were drug abusing, they are criminals as well. I'm not one for getting into the morality of taking drugs, at the end of the day, if they want to do it, let em as long as its only themselves they are hurting. However, if they are in prison they should have nothing at all. A bed, some water and some food. Suppose something to exercise with as well, baring that, some concrete and some bars.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Obviously. :rolleyes:

5. Queso macrumors G4

If this country had more than just a token number of rehab places, this may not have happened in the first place. Saying that, the important thing with drug addicts is to get them through withdrawal by whatever means. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you familiar with the health risks involved in acute retraction of a drug like that? We would never do this to someone on the outside... why would we do it to someone on the inside?

Would you take your argument to suggest that a prisoner who has HIV does not deserve HAART? Or a prisoner with lung cancer does not deserve treatment? Many cases of lunc cancer and HIV represent behaviorally acquired disease. Substance dependency is also a behaviorally acquired disease. Why shouldn't it be treated?

8. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

I wouldn't say familiar but I have an idea, I by know means want to suggest I know it all inside out. However, Because they're on the inside. What good is a prison if all you learn from it is that you get cared for, 3 straight meals a day and can watch the TV?

I'm far from saying anyone should be left to die, but to a point, no a prisoner does not deserve these home comforts they have become accustomed too.

Infact, thinking about it, then yes, I'd go as far as saying that prisoners do not (For the lack of a better word) deserve treatment for other 'behaviorally acquired diseases' On the 'outside', correct me if im wrong, the reciever of the treatment would have to pay, yes? Are things such as HAART and any Lung Cancer treatments covered under the UK NHS? As far as I know, again, may be wrong, the US doesn't have such a thing. So the reciever of the treatment would be paying. Do prisoners then deserve to get this treatment for free when the tax payer has to stump up for it?...

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm confused now about whether you're talking about the US or the UK... I'm pretty sure your NHS covers anti-retroviral treatment for HIV/AIDS and covers treatments for cancer, although I have never lived in the UK.

With respect to the US, yes, Medicare and/or Medicaid pay for HAART for poor HIV+ individuals who are not covered by private insurance, and also for most aspects of cancer treatment for the same populations....

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I feel sorry for the tax payers in the UK. They are the ones losing here. :(

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's ****ing sick.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

Had the prisoners been shown a bit of benevolence and compassion to begin with, the tax payers wouldn't be losing here. What you all fail to aknowledge is that quiting heavy narcotics cold turkey can be very dangerous, possibly resulting in death.

You know, I'm not sure Jesus was mankind's savior, but he wasn't that bad of a guy.