What is up with all these remakes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by craigdawg, Jun 24, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Can someone please explain why Hollywood is obsessed with "refreshing" or "reinterpreting" old flicks? Were people begging to see stupid Ashton Kutcher reprise Sidney Poitier ("Guess Who")? Cedric as Ralph Kramden, po-lese.

What was wrong with the original "The Longest Yard", "War of the Worlds", or "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"?!?

Let's remake "The Sound of Music" with Celine Dion while we're at it. How about "Animal House" with Jack Black as Bluto?

And when something original FINALLY comes along, everyone goes apes#$t a la "Sideways" and "Napoleon Dynamite".

AAAAHHHHHRRRGHH!!!

Thank you.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Shhh! Don't go giving them any ideas!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

some remakes i understand, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, they are not remaking the Willy Wonka movie really, but they are trying to make a movie that is more true to the original story set forth in the book. other remakes are just an attempt to make some $$

4. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

There comes a point when there are so very few original ideas that you have to start looking at the successes of the past and re-imagening them for todays audiences. Its not that there are no creative people making movies, but just that there are only so many themes you can use to tell stories.

For example, the Heroes Journey paradigm. The vast majority of movies can be broken down into this formulaic way of telling stories. Its not that noone is creative enough to not use this formula, but that it is a proven success, so its more effective to tell the same stories with a new twist on them. Star Wars is the same as the Matrix is the same as Rocky is the same as Lord of the Rings, etc.

There is no such thing as an original (viable) idea these days (revolving around movies). Back up 75 years and a lot more options open up to you because the media was still relatively new. Go back to the beginning of man, and every story you tell is new and original. Go forward 1,000 years and it will seem like every single story or movie you see is either a re-make or very similar to other stories.

I for one dont really mind the re-makes. Its just another voice telling a story. Just like if you hear a story and then want to relay it to someone else, you'll tell it differently, but its still the same story.

Bring on the re-makes!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

excellent points, and this has been written about extensively, look no further than Joseph Campbell's
    The Hero With A Thousand Faces which as it turns out was part of the basis from which Lucas drew from when writing the original Star Wars movies..... good and interesting read, i recommend it

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

There are many more, and they've been doing this for as long as they realized that movies made money. Other remakes that come to mind include:

Ocean's Eleven
    The Italian Job
    Stepford Wives
    The Manchurian Candidate
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (why? why?)

Edit: More here.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

These movies are a know quantity, as are the actors in them.

Doing these movies also take a lot of the "gamble" out of the equation.

Plus, with the obvious "I wrote that story" lawsuit now expected with any blockbuster new movie.

Reimaging old movies eliminates that threat entirely, since those writers were paid off decades ago.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Because it is cheaper and assumingly less risky to take older properties and remake them, than to take risks on new untested ideas. It is all about the dollar in this day and age of the Ciniplex 1000 theaters we have. It was much nicer when we use to stand in line for hours to see a movie at a single screen for the likes of Towering Inferno or the original Star Wars.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The younger generation. The people that didn't know there was an Ocean's 11 before there was an Ocean's 11 before there was an Ocean's 12.

Whoa.. head spinning...

Yeah, they just wanna profit off of the younger kids. :)

10. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

It just seems lazy to me.

Why can't they re-make a movie that sucked with the intention of making it better? Like, um, "The Cable Guy" or "Snake Eyes". Wow that was random.

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I agree with you, but you have to admit, the original War of the Worlds was pretty bad. :p

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Also, whats with the TV shows, honeymooners, b*witched...

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The original 1938 Radio broadcast by Orson Welles is a classic -- that any movie would find hard to beat.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So "bad" that people truly believed that they were under attack from Martians.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont think that SunBaked was trying to imply that it was bad Chip, but that the movies would never be as good as the radio broadcast

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

In my thinking, the nostalgia supply is meeting the "don't want to get old(er) demand. Marketing with a crease of creativity ironed in it.
    X

17. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I didn't think the George Pal movie was bad either, considering the budget and the time that it was made.

18. RacerX macrumors 65832

Yeah, after listening to it the original movie pales in comparison.

Plus it is understandable how so many people thought it was real... If you miss the first 30 seconds or so of the show, you aren't told again that it was a production of the Mercury Theatre players until some 25 minutes in. When you consider that radio was people's main source of information and that many places only had one station, it is understandable.

:rolleyes:

Of course it was Halloween and that should have given it away.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You think that's bad? "The Scorpion King" is a prequel of a sequel of a movie that was a re-make of another movie that was made 70 years ago...

20. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

care to untangle that one further?

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sure.

The Mummy (1932) -> The Mummy (1999) -> The Mummy Returns (2001) -> The Scorpion King (2002).

Original -> Remake -> Sequel -> Prequel.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

And I've been trying to find the original Walking Talls (were there 3? with Joe Dan Baker) to show my son what 'Walking Tall' was really about, before the latest, not so tall, Walking Tall came out.
    P.S. I did manage to show him the original Ocean's 11 with the Rat Pack ;)
    X

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My mistake, I meant to follow-up latergator's comment; was meant to in support of sunbaked

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah it pretty much was confirmed when i saw the trailer for Taxi (NYC) which is nothing more than a remake of the french Taxi from 1998 ..heck with even the same director and a few changes like:
    *change the location from southern France to New York City,
    *replace the male Taxi driver with a black female taxi driver (most preferable a hip hop artist)
    *replace the male mercedes-driving german speaking villians with brazilian supermodels
    *reduce the amount of fun but polish up the stunts

heck they literally remade the final jump scene