what is up with applestore's charging?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by orijinal, Oct 9, 2005.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

i just placed an order for a set of nano tubes, and in the aknowledgement e-mail, it says that my total order is $31.63

on my online checking account though, there are three separate holds from apple, one for $1, another for $1, and a final one for $31.83

what is apple trying to pull here?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Probably the initial check to see if your account is valid and has funds. They'll put an authorisation for $1 through but won't actually claim it. It will show up on your checking account until the authorisation for it lapses (a week to 10 days later?) and then put the full amount through.

Not sure about why there are two for $1 there - perhaps a delay between ordering/preparing for shipment which meant they had to re-check the card?

3. dcv macrumors G3

Perhaps one $1 is a debit and the other one a credit?

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Hmmm, I've bought many things from the Apple Store. Never experienced random charges like that.

5. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

It is definitely just a pre-authorization.

I've worked for two different companies who did the same thing. One of them actually "charged" the whole amount multiple times, which always pissed customers off.

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

If a company charges the entire amount multiple times, they should let you leave the store with multiple items. If I have to place my trust in their policy, then they'll have to believe I will return the other items. :)

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Lately, there has been a trend with Debit cards like the Visa Check Card to hold more than the amount. Certain gasoline stations like Chevron are holding up to 3 times the purchase as a guarantee until the funds are transferred, at which time, they release the hold.

8. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

alright i'll wait to see how it pans out. thanks all

9. iGary Guest

iGary

It took them 3 days to bill me for my cinema display. Go figure, you would think they would want their money straight away.

Same thing when I bought my PowerMac - I got it before they billed me. :eek:

10. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Apple charged my credit card CDN$1 to check the card wasn't stolen, then charged seperately for each of the items I'd ordered online.

Caused problems for me, because Apple charged for three items seperately within a few seconds of each other, it alerted my credit card company's anti-fraud system and they froze my credit card.

I had to phone the credit card company to confirm it wasn't fraud, get my credit card unfrozen and then ask Apple to re-try the payment!

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If you want to be sure, you should give Apple a call. Never hurts to verify a charge.

12. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Hmm, thats the first I've heard/seen of this. Does Apple mention anywhere that they occasionally do this? Seems like a poor way to do business if they don't let you know before hand.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

It's usually in the fine-print on *something*. The simplest way to deal with these type of transactions is to refuse to pay by credit card, make it cash or check instead, I tend to pay cash in Apple stores which always makes them roll their eyes... like i'm just tawdry for using dirty smelly old cash in their lovely store... ahh hehe

14. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

please, don't ever bring a check into my store. i hate those things. worst method of payment ever invented, they require to be discontinued like ppl who want support on OS 7-9.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Even more so, don't use a check in the EXPRESS(!!) lane of a supermarket. And if for some reason you have to, do NOT have the machine print it, because that takes forever. Cash is still the fastest.