What is up with these spelling and grammer junkies

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by madmax_2069, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

Man i am getting tired of being complained at for not spelling good or my grammer sucks. yea i admit it im stupid that way but i do know alot about computers, mac's on the other hand i am still learning myself but i know enuff to help someone out even tho there post lack's in the spelling and grammer department.

i dont care if they have problems with spelling and grammer i will read it and post if i can help or try to get more info about his problem and then see if i can help. I wont never complain to any one that has this problem about there spelling and grammer. i wish the spelling and grammer junkies would just Quit wasting mine and other people's time with posting nothing but complaints and not even trying to help with the person's problem.

i think it would help with all the B.S. here on the forum if they would implement a spelling and grammer tool so the people with this problem would get less gripping at and more help with the question. i for one wont let myself or other people get ran over by these butt fungus that waste people's time doing nothing but complaining about spelling and grammer. they could take a better aprotch than saying i read to about the 2nd setense but stopped cause it hurts to much to read your post.

all they could do is answer the post and say it would be alot more better for people to read if your spelling and grammer was better. and that's it but having 15 or 20 people say the same thing after the first reply about the spelling and grammer crap get's real old real fast if they see the first reply post that has no info about the question or problem most do the same thing after that some are willing to read the orignal post and try to help but who wants to go threw 3-4 pages if complaints just to get to the answer

plz plz add a spelling and grammer tool to this forum it will end all the B.S

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Using Safari? Built-in spellchecker.

Butt-fungus? How to win friends and influence people.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ah BV, will you marry me?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Writing properly shows a sign of respect for your fellow readers. With that said, you all sUX0rz!!!11!!!!1

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Personally I can learn to ignore the spelling errors. The complaints are definitely MUCH more annoying than the errors. People may be posting from work machines, etc., so Safari's spell check won't solve the problem for all.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, since it's so painful reading this post.

Besides, it's grammar.

Really, though, do we have to go through this again? About every 2 or 3 months somebody writes how concerned they are that "peeple wory about how other's right, and they shouldn't cuz it don't really matter if I can help somebody out good."

Complain about something that matters - like a lack of Powerbook upgrades for Pete's sake. :rolleyes:

7. doumbek macrumors member

Come on guys cut the guy some slack

And I believe the plural of fungus is fungi. :D

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

And would you please spell "please" right? :rolleyes: :mad:

;)

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Reply of the week.

This is a non-issue, always has been, if your browser doesn't support spell checking, buy a dictionary.

It's far more painful trying to decipher the meaning in a poorly written post than it is dealing with the odd anally-fixated grammar fanatic.

10. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I'm sorry, I read to about the second sentence of your post but stopped because it hurts too much to read your post.

:rolleyes:

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've never complained about anyone's grammar (except for timelessblur's, but (s)he was unreadable), but since most people on this forum don't know any other posters personally, the only impression you get of anyone is from what they write.

We all make spelling and grammatical errors here - we're not trying to write a paper after all - but if you come across a post that almost unreadable due to lack of punctuation, run on sentences, misplaced participles, gerunds losing their possessors, stream-of-consciousness ramblings, no paragraphs and general sloppiness, the only impression of the writer you end up with is of a knuckle-dragging moron who doesn't respect the readers enough to proof-read.

If a post is so badly written that we have to read it two or three times before even beginning to make sense of it, it's not going to be read for content, and we are more likely to pick on what we can understand straight away, i.e. that the writer is a knuckle-dragging moron who doesn't respect the readers enough to proof-read, and respond accordingly.

That said, good content goes a long way towards making up for bad grammar. A grammatically correct post that boils down to saying "Macs suck because they only have a one button mouse" is much lower on the scale than a sloppily written but technically proficient post that explains how to make professional work easier by removing the drudgery of having to waste time maintaining a PC, by buying a Mac.

But (oh, the irony!) attempting to at least make your posts readable just makes things easier for everyone, yourself included.

12. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

I, for one, support the gerunds in their quest to free themselves of the intolerable presence of the almighty possessors.

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

So do U. However you do not see me complaining. ;) :D

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not going to happen.

plz plz write your post in TextEdit, Word, or Safari, all of which have spell check. kthx.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Gerunds... aren't they a species of small rodent?

16. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

I'm not going to start. This could go on ad infinitive.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You know what I really like about the premise of this thread? It's that people who care about matters such as grammar, spelling and punctuation are the problem, not those who confess to being lackadaisical about their written communications. We're "junkies," no less!

Slip me another hit of those adverbs!

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You are so right. I don't want to be adverbial. The entire idea is prepositional.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The biggest problem with the "junkies" is that 9 times out of 10 they make a mistake themselves in their "correction," and you end up with a hypocritical flame war where the original point of the discussion is lost. If you can't understand a post, just don't reply. Don't give a play-by-play of its grammatical insufficiencies.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I find that a careless or clumsy writing style really detracts from a poster's credibility.

It's like Jerry Springer having a show about world peace. The message may be worth listening to but the messenger gets in the way.

I'm a sloppy typist and am constantly edtiting my posts to correct my wayward fingers, so I've been nitpicked before.

And there have been instances where I've seen people nitpick a post's spelling or grammar who have nothing else to add to the disscusion. Which is a bit lame.

But many people (like the OP) really make it hard or tiresome to read their posts; Those of you who do need to put the time into posting clear, well written text so I don't have to get out my secret 1337 decoder ring if I want to know what you're talking about.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

So, then, "smart junkies" would be like an oxymoron, without the simile? I couldn't make an adverb out of rodent, but was tempted with "rodentially".

22. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That's because 9 out any 10 posts contain at least one grammatical error. But I haven't read many corrections pointing out misuse of semi-colons, or pointing out a sentence starting with a preposition. I would have a problem with that.

When a post is so badly screwed up that it makes no sense in any reality, and someone tells the OP so, it doesn't matter if that person misspells "misspelled" "misspelt". In that case the only idiot is the person accusing the grammar junkie of hypocrisy.

Edit: fixed deliberate misspelling of mispell etc - just so many levels of irony there my head hurt.

23. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Damn. I don't know that I have the dangling modifiers to take on such a modal reply.

24. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Same here. I gave up at about the same point. At the very least posters could attempt to write out the words. Grammar is not as bad, but this is an international forum and English is not always everyone's first language. You need to construct a post so everyone can understand it, or not post at all.

At least the people who are calling out and correcting the errors have made a valid attempt at making their sentences coherent. That is a lot more put forth than the sloppy posters.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hey, I just went and did some corrections. Maybe, you'll see why it's tough to read some of these posts. I found a couple of things that even more advanced English speakers do and since no one would care, left those alone.

It gets real old, real fast for us, too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.