Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
bousozoku said:
Hey, I just went and did some corrections. Maybe, you'll see why it's tough to read some of these posts. I found a couple of things that even more advanced English speakers do and since no one would care, left those alone.

It gets real old, real fast for us, too. :)

Oh, so that's we he said
I'm glad you translated it
I was confused :eek:

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
MacDawg said:
Oh, so that's we he said
I'm glad you translated it
I was confused :eek:

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

If I didn't have a touch of OCD, I probably would have given up. :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
wordmunger said:
Don't give a play-by-play of its grammatical insufficiencies.

You make it sound like I do this. I rarely take anyone's grammar or spelling to task. I make mistakes, too. I just think it's kind of ironic to be labeled as some kind of weirdo for even caring about such things. It's sort of like being ribbed about taking a shower every day.

But since the subject has come up, I don't mind offering the observation that it's a damned shame that so many people don't seem to care about making their written communications clear and comprehensible -- which is, after all, what grammar, punctuation and spelling are all about. To make matter worse (IMO), is that I notice a generally more careful use of the English language coming from the non-native speakers.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
madmax_2069 said:
yea i admit it im stupid that way but i do know alot about computers
...and that helps how...?

I don't think anyone thinks you are "stupid". We all have our good areas as well as our bad. The only problem I have (and I may or may not speak for others when I say this) is when people don't even seem to care or take the time to put together a decent post.

Safari has a spell-check, I believe. On top of that, there are hundreds of online sources for finding correct spellings of words you may not know. If you really "know a lot about computers", I'm sure you can figure it out.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
bousozoku said:
Hey, I just went and did some corrections. Maybe, you'll see why it's tough to read some of these posts. I found a couple of things that even more advanced English speakers do and since no one would care, left those alone.

It gets real old, real fast for us, too. :)

Cut someone some slack; this is not a doctoral dissertation here.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mac-er said:
Cut someone some slack; this is not a doctoral dissertation here.

I was just providing a very graphic example that anyone can see. It was done as a positive thing. I was not attacking anyone.

Applespider

macrumors G4
We all have something that irritates us in life but which others find acceptable. I hate someone chewing gum with their mouth open but others don't seem to notice. I don't particularly notice when people mix up MB and kb and the various capitals that make the abbreviations mean different things but if you're highly experienced with computers that probably drives you batty.

It also immediately jars my brain when I read something with multiple errors. I'm not too fussy when it comes to some spellings - your grammar/grammer isn't annoying since it's clear what you meant but mistakes like lose/loose or their/there/they're drive me batty since they mean different things!

If you do a lot of informal reading, then you don't notice errors quite so much. If you're used to reading edited copy, then mistakes jump out. Posting simply to say that something is wrong isn't good but I wouldn't say that MR goes over the top with it. I suspect we've just got a high level of very literate users who are used to reading clear, concise English and prefer it. It's one of the reasons I like MR; if I had to decipher and translate each thread, I would have been long gone.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
I don't think we have a problem with this at MacRumors. MacRumors is really nice with a good user base. The moderaters do an excellent job, but I have to give credit to everyone. This is the most mature forum that I have seen.

Relatively speaking, and ignoring the "contributers" forum.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Applespider said:
We all have something that irritates us in life but which others find acceptable. I hate someone chewing gum with their mouth open but others don't seem to notice. I don't particularly notice when people mix up MB and kb and the various capitals that make the abbreviations mean different things but if you're highly experienced with computers that probably drives you batty.

It also immediately jars my brain when I read something with multiple errors. I'm not too fussy when it comes to some spellings - your grammar/grammer isn't annoying since it's clear what you meant but mistakes like lose/loose or their/there/they're drive me batty since they mean different things!

If you do a lot of informal reading, then you don't notice errors quite so much. If you're used to reading edited copy, then mistakes jump out. Posting simply to say that something is wrong isn't good but I wouldn't say that MR goes over the top with it. I suspect we've just got a high level of very literate users who are used to reading clear, concise English and prefer it. It's one of the reasons I like MR; if I had to decipher and translate each thread, I would have been long gone.

Certainly we have to make allowances for the various dialects of English, which make people think that there are spelling errors when there aren't. I know that things have changed here in the states since I was little, making words like "spelt" less acceptable. I'm willing to help anyone who is willing to help themselves. It's just that reading through some of the pleas for help taxes even my most patient mood.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Applespider said:
Actually, the only thing that drives me batty is when people mix up Java and Javascript - THEY'RE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!

Oh yeah, for some reason "seperate" also drives me nuts (come on, how hard is it to remember? Think "is aPARt" and "sePARate"). I have to hold myself in check when I see that

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
I really don't mind minor misspellings or wrong word choices.

IT'S WHEN YOU USE ALL CAPS TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS THAT'S ANNOYING!!11!!1!!

Oh, and ellipses being more than "..." and misuse of e.g. vs. i.e., but I'm anal that way.

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Typo's

Typing for some can be a real pain in the ass, hence crappy grammar and lots of abbreviations. (Speeds things up y' know).

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Since this is a fun grammar and/or spelling thread, here's a great link from Purdue's Online Writing Lab for those who really like to use apostrophes: Blink-a-link :D

I'm one of those people who cringes with grammar and spelling mistakes, but I have grown to understand that the message is often more important than the syntax, and as long as the message is understandable, one needn't necessarily worry about the grammar and spelling. That's not to say it doesn't still bother me, however.

...I used 5 apostrophes in this post - that's a new record for me! :eek:
...edit: 6

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
The first reply post points out the error's then people follow saying the same thing there will be about 6-10 people pointing out the same thing over and over and over. How many people does it take to point out the error's in someone's post. Yea i cant spell good and my grammer sucks if people dont like it they dont need to waste my time posting just to complain.

Sorry the os x with safari is on the test Mac i asked a few times where to dl somthing that i can type the post i want to use then run spell check on it then copy and paste to the forum but then again all i got in return was complaint's and no help thats what pisses me off.

My post's on this forum was the killer shot for me with this forum, so i went to a few other forum's and got help with no one complaining about any thing. so why here is it my curse or somthing am i that stupid or what you tell me i counted about 4-5 people pointing out my error's here in this post.

It only takes one person to tell the original poster about the error's in his post. and when someone can't read a word they give up emediatly and dont care. See i was brought up with more respect for people when they error. I do the best i can with what they have nothing more or nothing less. Just like this person wrote

thedude110 said:
*the English teacher strides in, seeking a middle ground*

Reading and Writing are mutually social activities. The writer has the responsibility to communicate their point clearly, the reader has the responsibility of grappling with those moments when the writer has lost control of their prose or intent.

If a writer is struggling with grammar or spelling, you're not helping them by telling them about their errors -- instead you're reinforcing the writer's insecurities (to the point where the writer may take pride in their error). Why not make what sense you can of what's written, and then ask for clarification on points that confuse you?

Study after study shows that, cross-culturally, kids have internalized the rules of grammar by the time they're 3 years old. We all have a few blindspots -- some people's blindspots are just more superficially obvious.

Mercy and charity go a long way in building a nation where learning is more valued than what has already been learned ...

I admit my error's but no one will accept that i do try my best. I don't like to use a spell checker i like to write raw and unhelped and if people dont like me cause of it then so be it. im not here to make enimies im here to be helped with my answer's and here to help other people with there question's or to make friends. I know people hate me for who I am just let it out

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I guess I'll chime in down here since I was part of the thread that motivated madmax_2069 to start this thread.

madmax_2069 said:
I admit my error's but no one will accept that i do try my best.
I don't accept that you try your best because there are many members of this board that aren't native english speakers and their posts are light years better than yours. Ya know, they do things like use periods and capitalization. You even say later in this same post that you don't like to use things that would help you. So, you are well aware of your short comings and chose not to doing anything about them. That's not "trying your best" that's being completely lazy. And, to top it all off, you are mad at other people for not accepting you compete lack of effort.

I don't like to use a spell checker i like to write raw and unhelped and if people dont like me cause of it then so be it.
I haven't seen anyone say they don't like YOU. But I have seen people say your spelling and grammar are horrible. Don't take the comments personally. If you know you write like crap, and you want to write like crap, and you like to write like crap, why get offended when people say, "Hey, you write like crap"?

im not here to make enimies im here to be helped with my answer's and here to help other people with there question's or to make friends.
Composing readable posts goes a long way towards helping people. You could be ***** Einstein but if you can't communicate clearly it doesn't matter.

I know people hate me for who I am just let it out
Gee, martyr much?

Like I said in the other thread, it's about clear communication. There is a difference between causal spelling and grammatical errors and writing so poorly that people decipher your posts instead of read them.

Lethal
EDIT: Spelling. :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
madmax_2069 said:
I admit my error's but no one will accept that i do try my best. I don't like to use a spell checker i like to write raw and unhelped and if people dont like me cause of it then so be it. im not here to make enimies im here to be helped with my answer's and here to help other people with there question's or to make friends. I know people hate me for who I am just let it out

"There is no try. Do or do not." -- Yoda

We don't hate you at all but I find it difficult to believe that you're doing your best. If that's the case, you underestimate your innate greatness and inner strength. Many people are far stronger than they believe because they've been told for so long that they are less than they actually are. Believe in yourself!

(Report all of those spell critics past the first one. Oh, I guess u can report the first one, too. Even if it's me.)

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I don't care too much about other people's spelling mistakes, nor do I care much about grammar mistakes. I don't have a problem with those two because they have something in common... They are mistakes!
it relly grines my geers wen ppl dont care about enough about there posts to try an use corect grammer and spelling even worse is wen ppl dont use periods or commas to stop the reader 4rom sufficating aftr reading there posts

If you really want to reduce the amounts of "Complaints" you get after posting, try previewing the post before you reply and read it in your head one or two times. Many times that helps.

Oh, and please. For all that is good and sweet. Make sure that at least your tittle is spelled correctly, and has proper capitalization. PLEASE! It is the first thing we see, and If it looks hard to read before we even read it... Well... You know...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Correct spelling and grammar certainly makes things easier around here. It's interesting to note that the helpful and seemingly intelligent/well-informed Mac users around here mainly conform to most literary rules. Even the ones from Norway/non-English speaking countries. :D

blaskillet4 said:
Make sure that at least your tittle is spelled correctly...

I'm guessing that's a joke. :p

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Indeed. It was supposed to be subtle. But you guys are just too good :p

I did mess up legitimately once though, notice I capitalized If (Instead of if), if I wanted to be nitpicked... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.