What is WebKit nightly builds?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G5Unit, Mar 31, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It (temporarily) replaces all the guts of Safari, everything but the outer interface. WebKit is the underlying web engine used by Safari, Help, Mail, a few other parts of OS X.

Your original Safari remains intact even if you run this, the kit is arranged so that it doesn't change the installed version of the libraries.

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Oh ok. But what does it do? Does it increase speed?

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It "does" all kinds of stuff, being a newer version of the library that ships with Tiger. It gives you many of the changes that will be seen in Leopard. There are a few speed tweaks, better compatibility with sites here and there (and worse on the parts where they're still working on it), a neat litle web inspector panel that lets you examine the structure of a site, plus a bunch of other little tweaks here and there.

Mainly it's an ongoing alpha/beta test for what will end up in Leopard, though.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That's not true, the build I just downloaded is much faster the Safari 2.0.4

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

WebKit is the rendering engine for Safari, the same way Gecko is the rendering engine for Firefox.

The Webkit Nightly builds are, basically, just a build of Safari with a newer version of the rendering engine "under the hood." They will almost always be faster and have support for many things Safari 2 doesn't have (some CSS3 tags, SVG, etc).

It's perfectly safe to run, but I don't recommend doing any kind of web development with it. It's so far ahead of the curve that you lose touch with what people visiting your site will actually see. ;)

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

How does that make it not true that there are a few speed tweaks? The illiteracy on MR never ceases to amaze me.

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Thanks ass, I read it wrong. It happens

9. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

10. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

11. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

No, it's updated many times a day but you only need to download a newer version when you feel like it.

Not sure.

12. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I use Webkit as my main browser; I download a new version every few weeks or so, usually when the Safari blog announces a new feature. The build I have right now is a few weeks old and rock solid, not a single crash. Advantages over regular Safari include:

• Much faster Javascript engine, which makes sites like Digg tolerable.
    • Less "beachballing" than Safari.
    • Better support for rich-text editing (used in CMSes and such).
    • Improved, industry-leading CSS 3 support.
    • The Inspect Element floating palette, very cool for web designers.

It is possible to download an unstable (i.e. crash-prone) build if you download it after a new bug has been introduced. In such a case, you can try a new build a few days later.

13. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Can this be run on the earlier versions of safari? In OS 10.3.9 the latest safari allowed is 1.3.2. Can I safely run the webkit?

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

go there and download it see if it will work, its small, so even if it won't work on your computer, won't be that difficult.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If you want to take out the hassle of downloading it, i use NightShift. Run it whenever i feel like and it checks the latest build, then downloads the most up to date version and installs it all for you.

Might have a scheduler i can't remeber, i'm currently on a vista machine so cant check, if not i'll email the dev to see if he can add one.