What is with Apple's commercials as of late? Quite sad.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KnightMan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Sep 12, 2012
    First there was Siri ads that were just downright misleading in how efficient it works, then the annoying commercial all about the new panoramic shot mode. Which Android phones had for years. Embarrassing to have a whole commercial on this one feature. But now Apple have outdone themselves and made a commercial about the "Do Not Disturb" function. Really? A whole commercial again on one function that isn't all that big of a deal. And on top of that doesn't work on New Years. Really Apple?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2011
    Do not disturb feature worked fine for me this morning. Did anyone else here actually experience the bug or was it just a story we read on MR?

None of my friends experienced it either. Just wondering.
  3. macrumors 603

Apr 6, 2007
    What I experienced was the DND icon was still on the top banner, but I did still receive calls and texts. DND was still listed as "on" in Preferences, but I turned it off and the icon went away.

In any case, why does anyone care THIS MUCH about the commercials? You already have an iPhone. The ads are not aimed at you. They are aimed at people who don't have iOS devices yet but might be considering them. I which case, showing off features is EXACTLY what you're supposed to do.
  4. macrumors 68020

Sep 12, 2009
    Yep, this. Was a bit surprised, though, about the latest commercial. It's basically about a horny man who is dreaming about girls and doesn't want to be disturbed, because in this case being disturbed is just 'wrong'. :p

Is an attitude I haven't seen from Apple in a while. It's less politically correct. And I like it.
  5. macrumors 68020

Sep 22, 2009
    My iPad didn't turn off DND.
  6. macrumors 68020

Nov 3, 2011
    The wood lining in Steve Job's coffin is probably worn through by now from him rolling in it.
  7. macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2012
    Are you talking about the commercial with Martin Scorsese?
  8. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    The iPad Mini's was cute but the others yeah no edge whatsoever. Then again, Apple didn't really have any breakthrough product last year.
  9. Small White Car, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    Smart phones are kind of past the general "you can make calls and use the internet" phase of ads. We all know that.

You don't see car commercials that say "it can take you from home to the store and back!" We all know that so that's not what they put in the ads.

If you're expecting mobile phones to go back from listing unique features to just telling us what phones do in general...well I don't think you'll find many companies doing that from here on out.

EDIT: Also worth noting, every "I'm a Mac" Ad was about one feature. There was the time machine one. The camera drivers one. The "we have Microsoft Office" one. And so on.
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2012
    I don't understand why you're so worked up about it, iPhone ads seem just the same as they used to...

But I do enjoy iPad mini ads a lot more, I actually rewatch those on youtube on a regular basis.
  11. macrumors 603

Sep 4, 2011
    DnD turned off properly on both my iPad mini and iPhone 5.

I don't really worry about Apple's commercials, but they are nice to watch. I can definitely see how they might appeal to someone looking to buy their first Apple product. Better than showing a wife transferring an assumedly explicit video to her husbands phone by way of NFC... *cough Samsung*
  12. macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    These were my favorite iPhone commercials. They were far better in the past. More lively

I'm trying to find if there's an English version, but it's basically the same.
    english : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ir5uuTw9o
  13. macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2011
    I don't buy anything based on commercials, only suckers do.
  14. macrumors 603

Sep 4, 2011
    I don't think that's what Apple is aiming for. They want to get words into your head like "iPhone" and "iPad" so the next time you're near an Apple Store or Best Buy, etc, you'll be like "Oh yeah, I remember seeing xx on TV about the iPhone, let's go look."

It gets you interested and it gets you into a store where you'll find other products by the same company. Apple isn't set on making commercials so that you see it and automatically buy it. They show practical uses for hardware and software features so you realize it could be useful to have.
  15. macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2012

16. macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2011
    That makes more sense.
  17. takeshi74, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013

macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    What's with the fixation on the commercials? My iPhone works just fine regardless of the ads on TV. Unless you need convincing to buy something then why are the ads relevant? An ad just tells you whatever the manufacturer wants you to think of the product. I don't even rely on them for shopping.
  18. macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2012
    Los Angeles Ca
    This didn't affect me at midnight on NYE but it did on all my iDevice's last night. DND did not turn on at 11pm as scheduled last night on my iPhone but did on my iPad and neither turned off at the scheduled 7am this morning. I had to turn them both off this morning.
  19. macrumors 65816

Jun 20, 2010
    I didn't realize the commercials could only show the features that no other phone has?!

I think it is fine to educate the people who don't have an iphone about what they could use it for.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Jan 7, 2012
    Location Location
  21. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    Pretty sad that people spend this much time thinking about ads.
  22. Guest

Jan 29, 2008
    Glasgow, UK
    Even sadder that people come to a forum to make pedantic digs at Apple ads. :rolleyes:
  23. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    Hey people in the ad business take it very seriously indeed.

But I don't think anybody here buy their phones for the ads, we talk about it here because Apple ads, in the past tend to make shots at the competition. 20 years later I can still remember the Macintosh ad with a single thin user guide popping on the table. We expect Apple Ads to be DIFFERENT, not so much lately.
  24. macrumors regular

Oct 10, 2012
    Apple should hire the guy that does the Shamwow, Slapchop, and Schticky commercials.
  25. macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2009
    Atlanta, GA USA
    When he's not in jail? No, thanks. :rolleyes:

I like the chamber music commercial, the one about noise-canceling. :)