What is with this new Google Quickview for Wikipedia in the mobile site??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Apr 16, 2013.

1. TH55, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

macrumors 68020

How do I get it to open in normal view by default?? This looks horrible!!!

Now there is a completely unneeded border around the screen making the actual screen size smaller, why the hell do they keep doing stuff like this??!!!!

2. macrumors 68020

macingman

Do you mean the Wikipedia mobile site?

If so. Yes it's pretty annoying. I just switch over to desktop view using the link at the bottom of the page.

3. macrumors 68000

The original poster should be more clear what they are referring to. And I'm not sure why this is posted in the iPhone forum.

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

Because it is Wikipedias mobile site in Safari, which is accessed from my iPhone.

----------

Yes, isn't Quick View only for the mobile site? And yes it's extremely annoying. I am so fed up with them changing stuff for no reason.

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

Have you found a workaround yet?

6. macrumors G4

Small White Car

He's talking about google searching on an iPhone and trying to click on Wikipedia articles in the results. Clicking the link no longer goes to Wikipedia, but rather just shows you the wiki-info in a pop-up box. You have to manually click "View Original" to actually go to Wikipedia.

I am assuming this is yet another attempt by Google to keep you stuck on their site instead of sending you off to Wikipedia, which is kind of a search competitor in a way.

Yes, it kind of sucks.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes it's extremely annoying. Any workaround yet?

8. macrumors 6502

gixxerfool

It's annoying. I just use bing. I've had no issues with results.

9. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why not just use the full site then?

10. macrumors 68000

All you have to do is click view original at the top of the screen. It doesn't seem that difficult.

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

Because the mobile site works way better, the full site isn't readable on a 4 " screen.

12. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

lol, I was gonna post about this. It loads faster, but yeah, it's annoying

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

One time it's not, but to have to do it every single time is a huge hassle. More importantly, I shouldn't have to. Especially since the purported reason for this modification is to speed up the process. While it does do that initially it cuts out a good portion of the screen and therefore negates it's purpose since you end up having to revert to the old way anyway, and in fact ends up taking more time.

It pisses me off bc it doesn't improve the user experience at all, and is solely done to increase Googles control of the web and therefore its profits while masquerading itself as being done in the interest of the consumer

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm sorry this is absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell does Google think they are? I seriously hope someone comes along with their same algorithm and eliminates them and returns to the simplicity of the original search engine.

15. macrumors 68020

macingman

It's not that big of a deal. lol.

16. macrumors 604

wordoflife

I've also noticed quickview loading on wikipedia recently but it doesn't really bother me that much. It loads really fast. Also, it doesn't really take up that much screen space. Wikipedia still renders fine, and I can see the whole page, so it doesn't make a big difference to me.

In hindsight, you're probably saving data too - which is nice.

Only bad part is that the pages might not be updated all the way - but if you need that - just load the full page.

I haven't noticed this but I might not be udnerstanding what you are tlaking about

17. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah it is, it's extremely annoying to have to do that every single time and also completely unnecessary.

----------

There is now a huge ugly border around the page for no reason which reduces the screen size by probably 33%.

18. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I just switched to bing and now problem fixed. I switched on my mac safari as well since when i search it lets me earn points towards free xbox points.

I trust Microsoft much more than i would ever trust google anymore. I would change my email from gmail as well if it wasn't so much of a hassle.

19. thread starter macrumors 68020

Gmail is still much better than Hotmail/Outlook, and I think the cleanness of Google's original search page is still unmatched. It's the search results that they keep messing with, it's driving me insane.

20. macrumors regular

I actually love the quick view feature. It loads quickly, I can see the first few lines and that's usually enough to answer my question. I find it more efficient but that's just me lol

21. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah but that ridiculous border around it

22. thread starter macrumors 68020

Ya it ends up taking much longer because you have to switch back. Is this permanent? If so I might lose my freaking mind.

23. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Use yahoo. It's a better search. Don't get scroggled

24. macrumors 68000

Yahoo doesn't have their own search. They use Bing. Bing is ok, but I often find their results lacking compared to Google especially when it comes to recently updated content. Try searching for something like "HTC One" and the top results on Bing are about the phones released last year not the new HTC One. I see this quite often.

25. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, exactly Google has a monopoly on search engines. Don't you find this quick view format to be extremely annoying?