What is worse?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Benjamindaines, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Which is worse for the hard drives? Spinning 24x7 (but not always accessing data) or having them set to spin down when inactive, but the way I work would make them be constantly starting and stopping when I use them? So basically should I have them always spinning or an on off on off on off type of thing?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably spinning continuously as this will generate a lot of spindle heat leading to eventual bearing problems.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

This is wrong.

A properly cooled hard drive will survive very well spinning continuously. The stress to the HDD is primarily caused during spin-up.

4. maxp macrumors member

I would say 24/7 better. Fluctuating HDD temperatures will cause more damage.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Seagate say I'm right, and therefore you are wrong. Heat is the major killer. Spinning down a drive that is not in use will result in lower heat thus longer life.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Geez, it's fairly common knowledge that heat is the worst thing for HDD and other components in computers. Keeping something constantly moving will generate more heat and cause the HDD to fail.

7. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I think I should add that these drives run very cool. The aluminum case only ever gets warm to the touch.