What is wrong with me? Two weeks with 11" and 13" and can't decide which to keep!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sofakng, Jun 26, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2008
    Perhaps I'm a bad person, but I just couldn't decide in the store between the 11" and 13" models so I decided to purchase both of them and test them extensively at home.

After two works, I'm leaning towards the 11" but I can't decide.

The primary purpose of the laptop is to use as an iPad replacement while I'm on the couch. This means playing indie (light) PC games and browsing the web, etc.

The secondary purpose is to bring to work and watch videos (16:9 ratio is really nice on the 11") during lunch. I might also use it to take notes during meetings but I'm not sure.

When I'm looking at them side-by-side, the 13" looks nice and big and it makes the 11" look small, but carrying the 11" around the house is so much easier and doesn't feel any bigger than a writing pad, etc. When I'm on the couch, the 11" is a bit easier to use as well since I can move it around as needed, etc.

My other option is to just stick to my iPad since it's great for gaming but then I can't play the indie/light PC games, and any odd-ball video I want to watch requires re-encoding for the iPad, plus the iPad has such limited space. (yes, this is a first world "problem" and I know a lot of people would kill to have to deal with this)
  2. macrumors member

Dec 23, 2005
    It sounds like you've made a choice you probably won't have a problem living with.

You could keep both and sell the ipad, couch, some blood and a kid to make up for the cost?
  3. macrumors 65816

Jun 23, 2010
    Miami, FL
    I wounder between the two which resells quicker..? Maybe you should decide after researching.
  4. macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2013
    From your post it sounds like you prefer the 11". You didn't have anything to say about the 13" other than that it makes the 11" look small (which isn't necessarily a point in favor of the 13").
    I've got the 11" here, and I think it's the perfect size. :)
  5. Guest

Apr 6, 2010
    IF its that close go with the cheaper version.
  6. macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2012
    For me, there is plenty of screen real estate on the 11" for most normal tasks, plus the portability is outstanding.

And, as a few others have already posted, it seems that you have already made your decision on the 11". :)
  7. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012

That's what I read too. 11" it is.
  8. macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2012
    Does the 11" have a full size keyboard or is it shrunken?
  9. macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2009
    Did the same thing here. Basically wanted to demo both with the new chip sets.

I'm just going to keep both.
  10. macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Yes, it has a full-sized, backlit keyboard.
  11. macrumors 6502

Nov 17, 2011
    Its really tough. My first MBA was a 2010 11". Went to the 13" in 2011 and really missed the 11". Just received my new 2013 11" and loving the portability. I travel a lot and the smaller size makes a huge difference when working on the airplane.

They are both great and have subtle tradeoffs. Sounds like the 11" is better for you.
  12. macrumors 68030

Oct 9, 2007
    I have a 2012 11" and a 2013 13" arriving tomorrow morning. I like the 16:10 ratio on the non-11 and higher resolution. I have to see if the size and weight differential matters or not. I tend to use the 11 both on the sofa and in bed , so the 13 might be too big.
  13. macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2008
    Go with the 11." IMHO this is where the air really shines. The 13" is too close to the price point of the rMBP 13" which is also a small laptop.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2012
    The problem I always had with the 11 is that the screen is just too darn small. It was convenient to bring with me on the couch, but I had to squint to read whatever was on the screen. And it just got to the point where I really preferred not to use it unless I had an external monitor as well.
  15. macrumors 65816

May 4, 2012
    You're a typical MR member. Can't make a decision and start a thread to ask strangers on the Internet to tell you what to do.
  16. macrumors 65816

May 1, 2009
    but then he'd just be a kng with no kngdom.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2012
    That's not just a MacRumors issue. This is a general problem of tech enthusiasts in the internet age.
  18. macrumors 68000

Jan 12, 2011
    Bel Air, CA
    11 inch. Bigger isn't always better. ;) Problem solved. Next!
  19. macrumors 65816

May 4, 2012
    Speak for yourself. :D
  20. davideotape, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

macrumors 6502

Nov 16, 2012
    i said it before, i really don't understand the mba 13" at all-- the footprint is actually larger than a retina mbp, prior to this update the battery difference seemed negligible, and if you buy refurbished, it even seems cheaper for more speed:

that one's faster, has a better screen, a smaller footprint, essentially the same price as the 8g i5, and cheaper than the i7. just seems like a better value overall.

the only benefits to the 13" air i can possibly see are weight and now battery life.

the 11" i get-- it's the smallest macbook by a longshot, the cheapest portable, and powerful enough to do pretty much whatever you want on the go. i'm amazed by it so far.
  21. macrumors 65816

May 4, 2012
    Um, wouldn't weight and battery life be two of the top criteria people look for in a laptop? :confused:
  22. macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm an 11" fan. Used to have 13" before but now it just seems huge to me, never going back.
  23. macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2012
    Never say never ... Older eyes = bigger screens ;)
  24. macrumors 6502

Nov 16, 2012
    i look at that, but i also look at the other stuff i wrote just above what you quoted. footprint, power, and screen. and its not like battery and weight differences are incredibly dramatic- especially the weight :more confused:
  25. macrumors 6502

May 19, 2009
    I've owned both, and I admit I do miss the 13" MBA's SD card slot from time to time. But I've stuck with my 2012 11" - and a 2011 11" before that - because of the portability advantage.

Admittedly, I enjoyed the 11" more before TSA, in violation of its own rules, started making me remove it from my bag during screening. Now that I'm treated the same as the guy behind me with the 17" Dell, the 11" does lose a bit of its allure.

Every time I pick up my wife's 13" MBA, however, I'm struck by the rather significant difference in both footprint and weight. My honest thought is that a portable computer should be both small and capable. The 11" fills that bill nicely for me.

I will probably upgrade to the 2013 version at some point because I do enough heavy lifting with my 11" MBA to make good use of the longer battery life, faster SSD and improved GPU. Otherwise, I'm content with the machine I have ... it's pretty close to being the perfect portable computer.