What is wrong with my 5.5 gen iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wPod, Sep 28, 2006.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I recently purchaed a brand-new-shiny-iPod-5.5-gen and it is really cool. Only problem is, it takes b/w 30 seconds an a minute to eject. if it even ejects at all. i usually get fed up and restart it by pressing menu-center button. is this bad? my 4th gen iPod would eject and be good to go within about 5-10 seconds. does the bigger HD in my 5.5 gen make it take longer to eject? or is something wrong? it sits there and says 'do not disconnect' for ever!!!! how can i make it stop!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Was your old iPod formatted for Mac or Windows, and how is the new one formatted. My iPod takes far longer to eject now that it's formatted for Windows. :eek:

I wouldn't reset your iPod unnecessarily, well, certainly not whilst it's ejecting. Let it finish off the ejecting process normally. :)

3. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

i know my last one was formated for mac. and the new one should be as well. ive only used it on my mac mini and powerbook. i did a firmware restore from the mac mini so i assume that means its formated for the mac. unless apple is shipping the iPods formated for windows now!

but still, something seems wrong when the iPod sits there frozen with the 'do not disconnect' screen. last night i timed it once at just over 2 minutes. the computer shows the iPod is ejected, but the iPod just sits there frozen. i dont know how long it took to eject this morning. i let it sit in the dock for a minute before i yanked it out and stuck it in my bag (as i was almost late leaving for work)

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I think this may actually be true, my girlfirend bought a 80GB 5G on wednesday from Argos and it came formatted for windows. Slightly annoying but i thought that it made no real difference?

5. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

i couldnt imagine the formating would make a difference.

other people with 5.5 gen iPods, do yours take a long time to eject?

6. MichelleAK macrumors member

I've had a couple of problems with mine (80GB). The first time I connected it, it uploaded everything smoothly, without a hitch. However, the next time, it hung on the "do not disconnect." I finally had to just disconnect and reset the iPod. It seemed fine.

Then, the next time I connected, it wouldn't upload pictures from iPhoto. (I kept getting an error that the iPod wasn't connected.) I did a factory reset, and started from scratch, which worked, and everything (including the pictures) uploaded without a problem. Since then, I haven't reconnected the iPod to my iMac, but I'm going to be adding some more music this weekend, and keep my fingers crossed that the iTunes update has worked out the bugs.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iPods have been sold as Windows formatted for quite some time, but if you did a firmware restore from a Mac then it'll now be Mac-formatted. :)

8. squiresean macrumors newbie

i have the same problem!!

which is why i have come to this forum hoping to find a solution. My ipod is completely frozen on "do not disconnect" yet it doesn't appear in Itunes or on my desktop so there is no where to disconnect it from and it has been over 10 minutes now! :mad:

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

squiresean, have you tried the 5 Rs of iPod troubleshooting? Of these, resetting might be the most appropriate first step. If you can't eject it from iTunes, the Finder or Disk Utility, then just pull the cable out. It's not the best method but sometimes it's necessary. :)

10. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

yeah, the problem still happens. and ive tried all of the 5 Rs. and now i have new problems :)

today my iPod just froze. like i hit the next button and nothing happened. the song stoped playing (as if the pause button was hit, but the display clearly showed play) there was no response from any of the buttons (as if the hold button was on, but it was not.) that problem is kinda random and only happened once so far.

but a problem that is totally frequent has to do with album art. on a few select albums i download the album art and it does not sync with my iPod. its only on certain albums. most with album art or new ones i put album art on will sync. but for some reason, a couple albums just wont put the art on my iPod.