what is wrong with my iBook combodrive..?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by skywalkgr, Jul 11, 2005.

1. skywalkgr macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2005

I have a 12inch iBook (1.2G) which i bought recently (10days ago) from a local reseller in my country. I dont know really what is wrong but i have a big problem with the built-in combo drive (matshita cw 8124). To be more specific , the drive cant read/play via itunes 4.9 SOME of my audio cd's. My audio cd's are all in great condition with no scratches or dirt and they are all originals and not backups.

I cant find a solution... the drive can read dvd's , data cd's and some audio cd's correctly. Is there anything i can do? A self test application or something like that?

Below you can find detailed information about my drive

Model: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8124
    Revision: DB0D
    Serial Number:
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk1
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    OS9 Drivers: No
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
  2. medievalist macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2005
    There might not be anything wrong with your iBook; there are CDs that are deliberately manufactured so that they won't work in a CD-ROM drive. Does the CD play in another CD-ROM drive? Is it a "Red Book" Audio CD, with the Audio CD logo on the cd or the case?
  3. skywalkgr thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2005
    thank you for your quick answer :)

Yes , i've tested the same audio cd's on my Powermac G4 drive (Hitachi HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B) and they work just fine :(

Also there is a small Compact Disc Digital Audio logo on the cd...
  4. skywalkgr thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2005
    I dont know if the drive is defective :/ So is it better , if i give my laptop to an authorized apple technician in order to change the drive?