What is wrong with my setup?

Discussion in 'Games' started by markjones05, Nov 4, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Whenever I play online unreal tournament my ping is always at least 400 more than anyone elses. I am on a cable modem, why is it so slow? Can i do anything to fix it?

Attached Files:

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Are you using dial-up? If you are it's going to be rubbish.

Otherwise. Use a nearer server or basically your ISP sucks. One of the two.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: What is wrong with my setup?

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

OK just read the last sentence...

...anyway the bit about the cable modem was off the end of the screen 'cos the screen picture was so damn big ;)

5. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

what can i do about my internet service provider? i pay alot of money every month for a cable modem from comcast and this is rediculous. They are charging me 110 a month for basic cabke tv and the modem? What gives? What can i do?

6. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Not much I would think. Where I live, there is only comcast (monopoly) and it basically sucks. Some websites either refuse to load at all or take forever because their DNS servers are crap....(I currently use the DNS from AT&T to access other sites)....that and they cap your downloads to 2 GB (I've heard from others), comcast isn't that great...maybe you could switch to DSL or something.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

if you are on a cable your performance can downgrade depending on how many others are using that cable. this is really true in a apartment complex. you might want to try DSL.

8. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

thanx guys i am in an apartment its rediculous. how much faster do u think dsl would be? is it worth it, i can usually ony dl at like 20 kb per sec. i knew they were ****ing ripping me off.

9. leet1 macrumors 6502

Wow, your paying twice as much as I'm paying for cable. Around $40 normally in my area + two other connections. Call the cable company up and tell them your problem. They will fix it, atleast they did when I was having the same problem. Also, they are about to upgrade the download speeds to 3 megs, so this would be the worse time to switch to DSL<which is more expensive for faster speeds>.

10. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

i just called them and they said my modem was fine. they said there was someting wrong with my computer i ran a ping test in terminal and time was in the 100 miliseconds when it should be around 15? He said it was the wierdewst problem hes ever seen.

11. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

now i just got off the phone with apple and they walked me through a bunch of tests and said that my computer was fine. they said there was probably somehting wrong with the modem. i told them i had just spent an hour on the phone with comcast and they claim there is nothing wrong on their end. Both companies are blaming each other and i have no resolution. WTF is going on? if its not the computer, or the modem, what else could it possible be? im not an expert on this by any means so i feel like im being taken advantage of. How can this be resolved?

12. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

now they are blaming it on spyware? is there even spyware on macs? how do u get spyware? how do u get rid of spyware? this guy doesnt believe me that i dont have p2p software on my computer!!! what is wrong with these people?

13. xelterran macrumors 6502

-just an idea-...you may need to open a port on your router, firewalls may cause lag too but im not sure..

14. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I dont even have a router!

15. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

you can get a better ping than that on dialup with 2-3kb per sec downloads.

16. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

yes i realize this, hence the post "what is worng with my setup".