Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Hmmm...

A vote to Safari because of the ease I use bookmarks, change tabs, etc. Safari is just a great OS X application, which is why I use it over Firefox.

iTunes...:D

Final Cut Express is great too....

There's too many!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I'm gonna have to say Office, with special mention to Word. But, then again, Safari is pretty cool too. :D

On second thought, can you count OSX as an app?

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
iTunes

Has influenced my lifestyle more than anything else ever on a computer.
No iTunes, no iPod and we'd all be using some convoluted UI on our mp3 players (like WiMP on a iRiver!? - eugh)

Even Pro's have to admit this is probably the best lifestyle app ever.
(I think there should've been 2 categories: Lifestyle and Proffesional)
Photoshop has to be one of the most influential Pro apps of all times too. And the fact that it can be picked up by me, even at release 7, is a testament to how good it is.

Damn it feels good to be a Mac user!

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Well, you didn't say we couldn't list games , so I'm going to say Marathon. I feel that at the time it was as important in separating the Mac OS from Windows as any other application listed here. If you won't accept games, than I'd have to say Forge or Anvil ;).

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, for pre-1990 Macs, Theorist (see an old ad for it here) was the application that I thought was simply unbelievable... and back then it was Mac only. :D

Photoshop (specially pre-2.5 when it was Mac only) and PageMaker really set the Mac apart from anything else you could get and set the stage for Macs being creative tools.

Today my favorite app is Stone Designs Create. It covers both the illustration and page layout areas that I need, and helps out with web design stuff. But no matter how much I use and love it in Mac OS X, Create is the productivity app for my Rhapsody systems (and even my OPENSTEP systems for that matter). Stone Design even let me put the Create 5 for Rhapsody manual on my Rhapsody site.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Stickies, I think that is the best app made. I tried to look for one for windows, cause I have things I need to remember when I get on my computer. Its one of the oldest Mac apps (not THE oldest) and still one of the best. I was all freaked out the other month (lol), cause I thought Panther didn't have Stickies.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
F14CRAZY said:
Ram Doubler :cool:

I remember USING that program.... and didn't know how it worked. I do remember once attempting to get even more RAM by running it again and again and again and again... :rolleyes: The good old days, when 640k of RAM was good enough for anyone...

And yes, I did just blend the x86 world with the 680x0 world....

mr_austin

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Lacero said:
After Effects is awesome too especially if you have the patience and skillz to pull off some great motion graphics. But I think the interface needs to go darker, like Combustion or Shake.

In 6.5 you can adjust the UI brightness, and pull it down to discreet-style grey. yet another little feature that adobe put in there that's really for the user rather than the marketing people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.