what is your definiton of genius?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 24, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a high iq score? great grades? or something not measureable by any tests or accomplishments

do you know any geniuses?

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I'm a genius ... LOL :)

seriously though

i define genius by work ... or more specifically by innovation --- so what if you have a high IQ, or get high grades ... i know plenty of people that have high grades but when it comes to using that knowledge when it counts ... they can't.

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I dont think getting high grades neccesarily means you are a genius. I mean... I dont get high grades and I consider myself a genius (ok, maybe not.);)

Who ever said a genius couldn't be lazy?:p

4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Hmm, for me it is a high IQ I guess. Also they are all egg heads. Only a genius in one area. (be it chemistry, computing, business...) And a genius in my book must have the drive to use their intelligence. (And not just sit on their butt and say they are a genius. ;) :p)

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i think a genius is someone who excels without putting out a 'real' effort. geniuses seem to be born with something that other ppl really have to work for, to be on or near the same level

geniusness cannot be learned, IMO

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

what do you mean by "real" effort? he he...actually your definition is the best i have ever heard concerning a genius

the strange thing is people who really excel at something, math for instance to take an example, often hate the subject or if they like it, it's as a hobby and not something they want to get paid for

it's hard to find something someone is a genius at but will stick to in their job/career to make a difference

many may not be geniuses but may have an above average aptiitude

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That actually reminds me of certain manifastations of autism.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

being the first person to come up with an idea that everyone else understands and says 'why didn't I think of that'

being someone who can think well outside the box, innovate and show people a different perspective on how they see/understand things.

Genius isn't just intelligence, there are genius talents - musical, mathematical, creative, artistic, etc.

What we're most often referring to when we say that someone is a genius is someone who is very smart. Knows a lot, does really well in school, excels in things they do. It show how much we don't understand it, that we really can't quantify it.

D

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

continuing in this vein, geniuses are limited by the ways they can express their vast amount of intellect. traditional methods of mesuring their potential prove impossible

where a normal person wold take a long time or never even come close to completely exploring a subject, geniuses explore them, exhaust them, and come up with their own just so they can find an outlet for their natural talent. sometimes this results in furthering humanity, even though the original intent might not have been bigger than the individual expressing their intellect. the case of calculus and sir issac newton, fits this well

i recently heard from a freind on IM that a freind of his didnt attend a particular university because the school database wouldnt allow them to set up his proposed triple major-- so now he's at another school. the triple majors were all science/engineering related

triple major = genius

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

rainman would be a good example, though i dont know if that was ficticious

11. vniow macrumors G4

Is this going to be a +2000 post thread about horny sexless Mac users?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My answer is similar to Mr. Anderson's. A genius is somebody who has the same information as everybody else, but puts it together in a unique way that no one else was able to see. He envisions possibilities and relationships between things that escape the rest of us.

13. judith macrumors regular

judith

My son is Autistic - couldn't agree more!
    Naturally analytical, attentive, extreme attention to detail - may not communicate well, therby condidered "slow" but he kicks-ass at puzzles, and mathmatical concepts that are way over my head (@33yrs) are a breeze for him (@10yrs).

Has anyone else noticed a higher percentage of lefty-geniuses? Just something I've noted with the few I know personally, seems to me a trend. (?)

(I am neither left-handed nor anywhere near genius - for the record)

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm not sure how I'd define a genius, but Missy Elliott is a genius, in a creative sense.

Let's see.... I'd say a genius is someone who is not only smart, but someone who wants to learn, and is in the constant persuit of knowledge.

scem0

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

don't you already know the answer? ;) how many stoopid IQ threads have we seen... :(