What is your driving style?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ambience, Feb 12, 2007.

?

What is your driving style?

1. Average Lazy Driver

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. Relaxed Driver

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average Defensive Driver

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Average Aggressive Driver

13 vote(s)
    13.5%
  5. American-Style Enthusiastic Driver

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. European-Style Enthusiastic Driver

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. Spirited Driver

19 vote(s)
    19.8%
  8. An Epic Driver

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. The State gave me a license?!

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  10. Other (please post)

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. ambience macrumors member

Just wanted to start a poll/discussion about fellow Mac users driving styles. Which one applies most to you? Anybody that cares about driving doesn't drive an SUV :p

Average Lazy Driver - Does not particularly enjoy driving or hates driving. Follows most traffic laws and sometimes get passed or honked at by other drivers. Just wants to get to a destination. It doesn't matter what they drive as long as it works.
    Relaxed Driver - Follows most traffic laws and likes to listen to nice tunes in the car while driving. Occasionally exceeds the speed limit when there is an open road ahead. Generally doesn't mind driving, sometimes a drive seems like the perfect thing to relax and get away.
    Average Defensive Driver - Follows all traffic laws to the best of their ability. Looks out for the well being of their passengers as well as themselves. Safety is the most important thing on their mind while driving.
    Average Aggressive Driver - May break a few traffic laws in order to get somewhere more quickly. The driver that isn't afraid to pass somebody that is driving slow.
    American-Style Enthusiastic Driver - Likes to feel the rush of acceleration and the low rumble of a meaty V6 or V8 exhaust note. Drives their car modestly until a straight open road appears, at this point their foot suddenly goes to the floor and the world starts to disappear into a blur as a gallon of gas is suddenly converted into green house gases. Whether its a 3.5l V6 Camry or a 4.6l V8 Mustang, the thrill comes from within the engine directly to the heart.
    European-Style Enthusiastic Driver - Likes to feel like they have a direct connection to their car as they handle a bend down a curvy road. A firm suspension and responsive steering may be required but nothing is better than the mutual relationship you and the car have, whether its a 1.8l Astra or a 5.0L BMW M6.
    Spirited Driver - Likes to feel acceleration and the curves in the road -all the time. Isn't afraid to pass somebody and likes to cruise above the speed limit. Constantly needs open road ahead and doesn't like being confined behind a convoy of vehicles. Feels a direct connection to the car no matter what it is and gets a tingly feeling in their stomach when they start a car for the first time. You love to drive and you love cars.
    An Epic Driver- Lives for acceleration and the curves in the road -all the time. Always gets no better than half the rated fuel economy of the vehicle driven. The sound of an engine revving gives a tingly sensation that cannot be described. The road, the car, and driving are all that consume your thought processes.
    The state gave me a license?!- It may be a high-end European car, American Muscle car, soulless FWD mid-size car, econobox, or a rust bucket - it doesn't matter as long as it is a car. Will make the best of it with what they are driving. It may be a Buick Road master, but its been thrown around a corner faster than Jeremy Clarkson can his Ford GT. Instead of getting visual "upgrades" for their car, they bought the stage 3 kit for their SRT-4 so they could take out M6s and Corvettes. After all, going out in an SRT-4 at 170+ MPH in a giant fireball would be better than going out from natural causes.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Is this going to become a poll? If not, I'm a European enthusiast, I'd say.

Edit: it takes a bit for the poll to appear...

:p

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

relaxed/average defensive....i'm very laid back when driving, but i'm very alert and conscious of my surroundings. i also travel long distances for my job, sometimes driving for 6 or 8 hours straight, and i absolutely love to do it. it's me time...i relax, listen to some tunes (or NPR when there's nothing good left to listen to), and just cruise. :)

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Given the descriptions, who doesn't want to be a European-Style Enthusiastic Driver?

I'm more of a relaxed driver. No jack-rabbit starts, likes to take it slow and easy, no rushing, follow the rules but sometimes like to take it up a notch and be more aggressive to satisfy my needs. Like some soft music to get me in the mood. Don't like aggressive tailgaters who sneak up from behind.

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm a mixture of the spirited and American Enthusiast.

AHH I could scalp he who goes 60 in the left lane of a 70! :D

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Relaxed for me, nothin' beats listenin to music while on the road. Goin' to school, and comin home from class are the most relaxin' parts of the day. You get to reflect and listen to music. Sometimes I just keep driving so I can listen to my music. It's not the same sittin' in my room and listenin.

After I totalled my car, I've become more cautious making sure I don't follow close and try to stay within the limits. I remember when I used to speed everywhere, I don't see the point anymore, you can only save a couple minutes at the most when driving local streets.

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I'd say I'm somewhere between the average agressive driver and the average defensive driver. Safety is my priority, but I will bend a few rules here and there to make better progress - until I get on the bike and then my agression goes up a notch (still pretty safety minded - I ride well within my ability, but my ability is faster than I care to admit)

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I am the "The state gave me a license?!" style :D

I don't speed when there are lots of traffic or cut people off BTW. I only speed when there are little or no traffic. I've gotten a few "tickets", my insurance is higher than or close to a new car's monthly payment, that's why I can't "afford" a new car.:eek:

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hmm, well I tend to travel at up to 50% over the limit where appropriate (well maintained large roads with no pedestrians in good conditions). I have been on track before and have track time booked for the spring. I sometimes slide sideways round roundabouts.

I'd say "spirited" :D

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Average Aggressive :D I'm not a really bad rager but if someone does something I do beep my horn and swear

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'm more spirited than avg. aggressive, so I went with Spirited. I drive an '04 passat (except it's broken right now) with a 1.8T and automatic/tiptronic transmission. I like to feel the curves as I'm going through them, and dropping the car into 3rd to pass a truck or something. God, I miss my car.:(

12. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

you know, i have never ever in my life beeped my horn at another car...no matter what. :confused: if someone does something silly, i'll get angry and swear, i'll make faces and gestures...but i never blow my horn.

does that make me abnormal? :(

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I think I use the horn everytime I drive somewhere. I'm surprised my horn still works. :D

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

This fits my driving style like a glove... a driving glove! :cool: It even extends to the virtual world when playing Gran Turismo 4, I use the 'bumper' view to drive... friends hate it, but it makes me feel connected to the road. :D

15. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

it varies...

I have a Jeep now, so fast turns and jack rabbit starts are not advisable.
    I used to have an Acura (Honda) Integra (1984 and 1998) and a Saab 900 (1985) and would drive much faster in those.
    Now I have a kid and a dog, so "spirited" driving is not my norm.
    On the occasion that I get in a fast car with little traffic...
    ZOOM ZOOM :cool:

I would love to have (ok, be given for free) an Audi RS6 Avant (wagon) to replace our Passat wagon.
    That way I could cart the family around when needed, but still have something that was between Spirited and Epic! :D

16. Moria macrumors regular

I've only been driving since the end of November, the car I have is terrible, but I'm definitely a spirited driver. I love driving and frequently take the car out just for a drive to no where.

17. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

I only beep when someone looks like they are going to hit me, like changing lanes without looking or such.
    Otherwise I don't honk either, its a waste of energy.

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm a good driver. I'm def more defensive now that I have kids.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I enjoy driving and will let my speed push 80 plus on the open road, I hate slow drivers that sit in the passing lane going 60 and have no urge to changes lanes. Im only aggressive when I need to be but if you stay in your lane everything is cool.:cool:

20. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Yup that's me. 2000 Kia Sephia, lol. I don't speed on freeways much but put me on a deserted country road and I'm off! Outside, inside, outside. I don't do a full screech around corners, but just enough to violently toss the crap in my backseat around.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess European enthusiast. My favorite things about a car are telepathic steering and dead-sure response pushing it hard around the corners.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I haven't quite gotten comfortable with my new car yet to go for the full screech in corners (well, on/off ramps), but tossing stuff around in the back is plenty fast enough for now. I love 3rd gear. :eek:

i think that makes you Japanese-style enthusiast. :p
    Muah hahahaaaa. [​IMG]

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Could be. It's a Japanese car after all. :cool:

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What do you call it if you just drive back and forth to the local 7-11, but you wear nothing but wife beaters and knit caps, have a goatee with six hairs in it, an exhaust tip the size of a 2L soda bottle, and a sticker in the window that says "Powered by Honda"?

25. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Barry