what is your experience with iChat AV at your processor speed?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stecchino, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Stecchino macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/ichat/

I am running an eMac at 1 GHZ, 768 MB of RAM on a somewhat reliable T1 line. I was ever so slightly let down to see that I will have only "enhanced" quality according to apple's website above :)

What is anyone experience with their machines at various speeds?

Regards,
    Jonathan

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I was very annoyied when my cable modem couldn't send a reasonable stream at all.

iMac 800 G4...

I was quite pissed.

3. Stecchino thread starter macrumors member

Yikes

Was the video really poor, I mean highly unpleasant. I guess it all comes down to expecations. C'mon, no one expects to have a great HQ video conferencing with a 300 MHZ G3. But do you need a G5 to get as much benefit from this thing like Apple is touting it?

Do you think your internet service or cable modem is limiting your video stream from your computer?

On the iChat page listed at top of this thread, they show an iMac (MAX 1.25 GHZ G4) with a full screen high quality video running. Has anyone done it?

Anyone else have similar frustrations?

Regards,
    Jonathan

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

most high-speed connections have much lower upload speeds than down... after all, you only need to upload requests for information, unless you're serving or sharing, which they don't want. so it's not uncommon for upload speeds to be very low, even with very good download speeds.

pnw

5. Stecchino thread starter macrumors member

That's true. So if you had a dual G5 and a terrible upload speed you may not do well anyway, potentially. So how much is iChat's performance based on bandwidth? Assuming you had limitless bandwidth, how much processor do people need to utilize iChat's capabilities?

Regards,
    Jonathan