What is your F score?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Frohickey, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

What is your F score?

Fifty years ago, the Authoritarian Personality studies attempted to "construct an instrument that would yield an estimate of fascist receptivity at the personality level."

This online, interactive F Scale presents that instrument in its final form. Additional infomation, including an explanation of the personality variables the F Scale tries to measure, is given below after the questionnaire. So take the F Scale now --- and enjoy!

=====

My F score is 3.7.
    "You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American."

:D :D :D

2. Dros macrumors 6502

2.5 You are a liberal airhead.

More interesting than many personality tests.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm a liberal airhead.

Interesting test, although the scoring data is a little old (1950). I'm pretty sure political aditudes have shifted a bit to the left since then in America. I doubt the average would be 3.84 any more. But who knows.

(Not that I'm denying that I'm a left-winger)

4. timmyOtool macrumors member

5. wwworry macrumors regular

stupid test

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

2.3 a liberal airhead
    and i wasn't surprised by the result

7. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

assuming this test is historically genuine, who was it who attached the subjective labels?

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    1.9 also...but i prefer whinging git to whining rotter.... ;)

11. macka macrumors regular

Lol. I ain't American. :p

12. diamond geezer macrumors regular

But I think the guy who decided on the scoring is a jerk.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Or perhaps . . . a fascist. :)

14. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

True American, disciplined and tolerant.

Intriguing

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

i'm a buddhist from canada and got: 3.4 You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

So what is a whining rotter? I understand the whining part..

17. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I take rotter to mean sloth-like.

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

thanks... I can accept the whining part but not the rotter ;)

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I got a 2.83. But there were a few that were worded as such that I had to choose "6" and none that were worded strongly enough to make me choose "1", so I ended up hitting "2" for most answers (edit: oh, the "homosexual" question was the only one I clicked on "1" for).

Does this mean I'm more or less accepting of a fascist government that someone who scores, say, a 3.7? ;)

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What an antique. I'm surprised this test didn't include any questions about velocipedes.

21. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

What a load of rubbish.

The questions are pretty similar to that political compass that was posted a while back. They are all good questions that would great for sparking debate, but unless your political views are pretty simplistic it pretty hard to give a definitive answer within the set limits. For example, here is what I thought to myself while answering the questions:

While the first few questions were pretty simple to answer this one seems almost paradoxical. I find it hard to hold a viewpoint on this one as there isn't really any logical basis for one that I can see. If there are things too great for us to understand, how will we ever know? And how do we know that someone won't eventually be able to explain everything, I guess we'll probably only know the answer to this question when
    a) we actually have found and understood everything there is to be understood
    or
    b) the world ends and we've run out of time.

This is a good example of how with these tests your score can change depending on how long you think about the question and also it leave you wanting to ask another question. Initially I agreed, then I realised that this isn't realistic, just because I do, doesn't mean everybody should, I mean, some people parents are complete bastards who make their life a misery and don't deserve an ounce of respect. In this case the person would be better off realising that and attempting to seek a good role model elsewhere.

Same with this question, it seems like a good idea at first but how are you going to decide who is immoral, morality is subjective so thats out of the window. Feebleminded people are feebleminded for a reason and perhaps the reason should be tackled first.

Yes could be true, but thats not a valid issue IMO, the issue here is whether people can be changed from a weak class to a strong class, and I think they can.

This question really got my goat. It lists this question under the stereotypy and superstition category, unfortunately they have chosen one specific example to illustrate it, If I answered this question truthfully it might give the impression that I don't give much time to mystical and spiritual shenanigans, but this would be an inaccurate picture, I'm not that person at all, I just don't believe in astrology specifically.

This question seems a bit strange, surely if war and social trouble could be ended by an earthquake then so could peace and social harmony. This question should have said 'The world and all the people on it will someday be destroyed an earthquake or flood." I guess they put the war and social trouble in to relate it to the noah's ark story (arghanoah) adn keep the fundamentalist christians happy.

To be honest I don't really know what this means! :confused:

anyway, my score was 2.76 recurring, guess i'm a liberal airhead then.

I think my point is that they these types of questionaires help do nothing but perpatuate the simplification of political issues. No question should ever be answered in such a multiple choice way, except maybe simple addition questions.

think maybe its time for another politcal compass round up it's more up to date and actually useful, although I have the same gripe with those questions, at least the reuslts are given in a more neutral way.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This "test" reminds me of the general knowledge quiz that was posted here a few months back that rated all Americans as idiots, no matter how many questions they answered correctly, and Europeans as smart and cultured no matter how little they knew.

The curious thing about this test is that most if not all of the low-numbered answers are clearly indications of anti-authoritarian attitudes, but answering in that way results in an insulting personality profile. A person with greater respect for outside authority (and presumably more likely to be attracted to authoritarian forms of government, e.g., fascism) is rated by this test as a "true American." So what is the real message here?

23. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you misread the scoring and what its trying to gauge. Either extreme is bad, because a totalitarian could be at both ends of the range.

24. Geetar macrumors regular

I'm a European. I know very little, but I do know that I'm smart and cultured ;)

By the way, I scored 3 on the test, which I'm informed now makes me an American :confused:

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This explanation makes about as much sense as the test itself.