Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WesM63

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
NW Ohio
Althou i'm relativity new to the mac world my favorite apps so far:

Transmission
Photoshop
Firefox 2.0 (duh)
Handbrake
MactheRipper
Stuffit
Adium

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
synergy, puts itunes controls in menu bar and give keyboard shortcuts, so no itunes window needed open.

mira, for multiple uses of apple remote (good with eyetv)

handbrake, putting dvds into frontrow (i dont care if its illegal, my dvds :p lol)

parallels, obvious

amsn, video chat for msn

divx and components and flip4mac, too watch any video formot (almost) though quicktime)

awaken, to use mac as alarm clock

http://www.bannister.org/software/emu.htm - this guys emulators for classic games :)

foobillard, for when im bored

open / neo office and gimp (free alt to microsoft and adobe)

and istatnano widget to keep an eye on things.

these things make mylife easier and more fun lol, hope that helps

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Coolest app thread

Whats your favorite, or some of your favorite apps you use on your mac? Could be small, could be large, whatever.

I like iWannaSleep to set a timer for my MB to sleep at night so i can listen to iTunes while laying in bed. Found it at VersionTracker.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Gotta be Quicksilver.I use it everyday, it helps me keep the number of icons in my dock to a bare minimum, and keeps me from looking through Finder. Although it can seem quite pointless until you know how to use it. I recommend the MacBreak podcast episodes that can be found on iTunes.

Some other good/fun/pointless ones are:

Disk Inventory X is a great app for finding out where all your hard drive space is going too. Incase you ever wonder, "why the hell do i only have 345kb of disk space left?" like I did.

Google Earth and Google Sketchup are fun.

Quinn is an excellent substitute for Tetris.

VLC plays anything.

SeisMac is fun but completely useless. (for MB and MBP users only)

KeySpazz for MBP users who want their keyboard to look like a thunder storm while typing.

Well thats enough for now, that should keep you entertained.

I'm pretty sure all of these can be found at macupdate.com

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
for me,

delicious library
cyberduck
handbrake
mac the ripper
eyeTV
BBEdit
MPEG Streamclip
VLC
Toast
KisMAC
MacMAME
DVD2OneX

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
carbon copy cloner- it copies it exactly
smcfancontrol- saved my lap and others in that area :)
Data Rescue 2- I accidently trashed my documents which had many inportant school papers and this thing saved it.
and worldofwarcraft- guess you could call it an app.

kbear2

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Can't live without DropDrawers. :)

Also helpfull:

Typeit4Me
ImageWell
Textwrangler
Shomi
FruitMenu
SuperDuper

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
there is already a sticky on this in the Mac Application forum you should check it out.
i personally like adium

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
VLC, Adium, Quicksilver, httpmail (allows you to use old Hotmail accounts with Mail), and Sizzlingkeys4iTunes are the apps I couldn't live without.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
News Fire, before this application I would never use RSS as Safari was horrible at implementing RSS, but since getting News Fire I have been subscribing to more and more RSS and thanks to it I am heavily informed on local and world news.

I also give credit to Rapid Weaver, simple and powerful enough for basic web sites.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
I'm afraid I'm boring. Love Nisuswriter Express. Just got Omnigraffle, and am somewhat hooked.

Long time user of Macdraft. Use it at home, and on the job. It's not native yet, but I suspect it will be within the coming year. :eek:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Its got to be Modo by Luxology. A truly excellent app I urge you to try the demo :)
modo.png
Modo has the most beautiful and functional interface I've ever used of any 3D app. I do a fair bit of print design, so I highly recommended the app for its rendering quality and speed. Gorgeous icon, too. :)

Some apps I use on a regular basis which I've come to depend on (ie lost without) include:

1. Overflow, one click access to frequently used apps and documents
2. SilverKeeper, free automated back-up software.
3. iShowU, no-nonsense screen capture utility if Snapz Pro is not your thing.
4. Photo to Movie, easy and high quality Ken Burns effects for home videos, web clips, and presentations
5. Desktastic, your screen becomes a virtual whiteboard... great for business presentations and computer tutorial projects.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I would have to say my Desert Island Software would have to be:

Quicksliver (don't know how i lived without it)
Visualhub
iTunes
Radiolover
Skype (make a lot of oversees calls)
ArtRage (a very impressive program, it looks so real)
Flip4Mac (very handy)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Hmmm...

Handbrake
VisualHub (although I am looking at MPEG Streamclip as it may be better - and the new version of Handbrake, MediaFork is out now as well)
TacoHTML
iTunes
iPhoto
The GIMP 2
Pages is growing on me a bit, as well.

Those are the ones that I use at least weekly, anyways. I try not to do any real work on my Mac (home machine) and just use it for "fun stuff". :p

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
If I had to pick just one...Why?

Beyond the fact that it is three apps in one (illustration, page layout and web design)... it was not only the first third party app for Mac OS X, it was the first app for Mac OS X that helped make Mac OS X a truly productive environment. Create has been sort of my Swiss Army Knife for every incarnation of this operating system going back more than 10 years.

The only other third party app that I've use as regularly on every incarnation going back that far would be OmniWeb.

If we were to go by Blue Velvet's pays the rent criteria, in my case it would be Photoshop for the last 10 years or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.