Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I just got my Intel Mac Mini upgrading from a 6 1/2 year old G4 450. Also upgrading Panther to Tiger.

I do a lot of customization on my Mac, i.e. Icons (dock as well), folder structure (I guess some of that comes from the days of OS 9 and aliases), and I love fun little apps (mostly freeware/shareware) that I can use to modify my user experience.

This thread is to tell everyone what you favorite freeware/shareware/low cost app is, post a link, tell us what it does. Please list more than one if you want.

I found an app for the dock called Cleardock, that takes away the edges of the dock and the background, so your dock apps just float. You can also change the carrot color below launched apps. I changed mine to red because my desktop is quite dark and I wanted to see what was running better.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Cool idea, let me see if I can help push this thread along.

I use cleardock as well and like it a lot. I have my triangles colored white because they show up really well on my dark backgrounds but don't stare me in the face too hard.

If I had to pick 1 app that I use the most, I'd have to say Quicksilver. It's free so that's great. Not only do I use it as an application launcher, but I also use its clipboard and shelf modules for storing commonly-used items for work, I have triggers setup for performing various tasks (controlling iTunes globally, etc), appending a line of text to lists I keep in text files, defining words, speaking words I'm not sure how to pronounce, etc. I always find myself going for the ctrl+space shortcut to invoke it and do something.

A couple other favorites to add to the list, though
- TextExpander for ease of typing. Type an acronym and it spells the whole thing out for you.
- Witch for cmd+tab on steroids. Even brings up minimized windows.
- Yahoo Widget Engine to have more widgets than the Dashboard has, and some that aren't available or otherwise are better suited for being on the desktop.
- Growl for displaying various notifications- new IMs, completed downloads, etc (website sees down currently)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.