what is your favorite apple product?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Aug 9, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i like the tibook, hands down...then ibook, then os x

ps - poll option is not working for some reason, but i was going to put

os x
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Yeah, I like the TiBook a lot, except it won't fit in my pocket. :p

Pops, if you don't mind, I'm going to take a page out of your book. You'll see...

When I first saw the iMac 233 I thought that was impressive. I thought it couldn't get much better. At the time, 1999, Mac OS 8.5 loaded super fast on the iMac. And I was happy with just 4Gb of space.

Then I got my iBook, the Firewire one. I thought things couldn't get better than this. A portable computer, faster than my iMac, a bigger Hard Drive, at 10GB, and an LCD screen. Nowadays, I bring the iBook to class and I manage to "wow" several classmates.

Then I found out I was doing a lot of work with music and encoding. I read about AltiVec and how iTunes uses the Velocity Engine. I decided I needed a G4 if I was going to speed up the work I was doing with music (editing, variations of starting/ending points, silence, etc.).

That's where I started looking at PowerMacs. I looked hard and long at a PowerMac Dual Processor G4. But I decided I didn't need DVD-RAM or the extra height of the PowerMac. (Keep in mind that my desk in NJ is basically right beside the roof of the house, so I have very little room for a PowerMac to fit).

So I decided on getting the fastest Cube available. I managed to get my current computer with 128MB of RAM (eventually upgraded to 1GB). I think for a desktop computer this is one of Apple's most incredible inventions.

As for portables, I need something with a G4 engine. If the iBook I had was equiped with a G4 I would be happy. But that's why I look at the Titanium as the best portable.

As for portable devices, no questions asked, the iPod completely kicks the blue heck out of all the other portable devices out there. And now with a clock and calendar the iPod just keeps getting better.

Wow. That was like an essay. :p :p
  3. GrizzlyHippo macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    on the sofa
    Easy answer

Although it's too slow nowadays, the best bit of Apple kit I've ever owned is the Newton Messagepad 120. Hands down the best.

If anyone has a Newton 2000 / 2100 they want to sell, email me...:)
  4. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    PowerBook G4....... it has been my favourite piece of Apple design for quite some time, (although at first I wasn't sure about the two tone colour finish) and I've been lucky enough to own one from pretty much the month they were first released...... people that are only just getting round to buying one for the first time now, are often amazed at the response they get when using it in public, believe me, it's nothing compared to when they first came out....... the amount of people I had asking me about it, and envious stares etc in bars, on trains, in the park and in computer shops was just astounding........

I also love the design, attention to detail and quality of the Pro Mouse........ a truely superb piece of industrial design.......
  5. Jays macrumors member

Feb 4, 2002
  6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    In order...

1) rev. c TiBook (800MHz) :D
    2) OS X
    3) iPod (5GB, which still has ~900MB free)
    4) PowerMac G4
  7. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    1. The TiBook - Even though it's taken a while for some companies to release firewire audio stuff (digi002), if I had the cash I'd love one of those.

2. The 22" Cinema Display - another dream product I'd love to have, all that space, wow.

3. OS X - going to save me the headache of occasional crashes and all that memory allocation juggling in OS 9

4. My G3 Desktop - old, slow and ugly but it's been a rock solid system for me and I'd love to see a PC from 4 - 5 years ago that's still as useful as this.

I suppose I should put the G4 towers in there but I've been against buying one till they hit 1Ghz on the entry level, it's been one smoke screen after another with those. Too slow, add a second CPU. Still not too fast, add more pipeline stages and up the bus speed. DDR & 1Ghz on the entry level and it will be straight to number 1 in my favourate apple products.

5. OS 9 - better than Windows 95 - ME and just as easy to use as GEM was on my Atari ST.
  8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    my friend's compaq presario laptop from that same time period is a pentium 1 233 MMX/16 MB of RAM/12.1" fabulous passive matrix screen, and only 8 lbs light, and it can totally kick the ass of any beige G3 mac

i hope you know i am not serious;)
  9. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    My imac was awe inspiring , I loved it from the get go
  10. aznatari macrumors member

Jul 28, 2002
    i love the ti book hands down. Then the new imac because of its sleek design with 15" LCD display.

1. PowerBook
    2. iMac
    3. PowerMac
    4. iPod
    5. iBook

1. Mac OS X 10.2
    2. Mac OS X 10.1
    3. Mac OS X

11. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
  12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    The cube can't hold a candle to the TiBook.
  13. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001

the Newton was Apple's best product ever.

14. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    It may not, but that doesn't stop me from obsessing over it. :D
  15. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    hmmmmm powermac since i tried it out today n it was hooked up with a niiiice apple display n it was sooooo sweeeeeet :D
  16. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2002
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    if your gonna say my favorite for right now i'd have to say the emac
    but wait all of you emac haters...
    i just think that AS FOR RIGHT NOW, i'd like to see more cost efficient machines like it coming out of apple

but my favorite product from apple is just the macintosh system from the original to x
  17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    That would be System 6.0.8 and MultiFinder. :D Oh wait! Entering memory numbers makes me dizzy.

Give me Mac OS X instead. It doesn't much matter which Macintosh runs it, as long as it runs it nicely. :)
  18. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    Like I said, I am a highly mobile person, so the TiBook is the way to go for me!!!:p

1. TiBook
    2. OSX (it made me switch to Apple!!)
    3. iPod(5Mb left)
    4. Powermacs
    5. iBook
    6. Flat panel iMacs
    7. Quicktime