What is your favorite console and why?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Since every week at least someone throws out the popular term "fanboy" as well as someone being fanatic, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could all tell why we are a fan of 'System X'.

I'd like to know what everyone's favorite console system is but I'd also like to know why. What system have you personally owned? What system didn't you own and why? Oh, and while it's perfectly okay to state a "past" system as your favorite, please tell which of the latest systems is your favorite.

Be fan if you are, say what your true preference is and what you dislike about the others if you wish.

Ideally, don't bother to reply to someone elses opinion of a console in this thread. We aren't likely to change each others minds and I'd prefer this didn't turn into a flame war! (if possible!).
  2. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    my new favorite console is xbox 360 because the online service is incredible. I love how you have the ability to unlock achievements keep track of games played and what games your frineds are playing. The market place is also great for getting puzzle games and other things.

I don't agree with all the stuff they sell on there like the horse armor pack for oblivion. It adds no armor to your guys it is merely a cosmetic enhancement. Overall I play the hell out of my 360 as does my girlfriend (she loves Jewel Quest). I am currently playing Oblivion and Quake 4 like crazy... I is just a great system.
  3. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    My faves

Here's my entry:

I've owned a lot of systems, I've sold most of them to kill my expensive collector habit, but here's a good list:

Home Systems:
    - Odyssey 2
    - Atari 2600
    - NES (original and top-loading)
    - Sega Master System
    - SNES
    - Sega Genesis (several versions: Mach 1, 2, 3, and CD-X)
    - PlayStation
    - Nintendo64
    - Sega Saturn
    - Dreamcast
    - GameCube
    - Xbox
    - Xbox 360

- Gameboy
    - Gameboy Pocket
    - GBA SP

Out of the systems my favorites are the SNES and Dreamcast since, in my opinion, they had the best game libraries of all the systems I owned! As a result I played these systems more then the others. GBA SP is awesome as well, but mostly because it's a handheld SNES. :)

Of the current systems I would say my favorite is GameCube. There are still a bunch of games I still want on this system which is something I can't say for the original Xbox.

I've probably spent the most time playing Xbox because of Halo, Halo 2, and Fusion Frenzy. I love LAN gaming and multiplayer and for the first 6 months after the Xbox came out my apartment was always full every evening for multiplayer Halo and the occasional LAN Halo with two TVs.

I didn't buy the PS2 because there really weren't any games I really wanted. I liked MGS, loved Tenchu, and Xenogears is mt favorite RPG of all time... but only the Xenosaga series tempted me to get a PS2 and they were not launch titles. Overall, even though I owned a PS1 and enjoyed many games on it, known of them really took hold of me so much as to get me to buy the PS2 for sequels.

I am a Zelda fan and to this day feel Zelda: Ocarina of Time was and is worth the price of an N64. I bought my N64 the day Zelda64 came out specifically for that game and never regretted it.

I never bought the PSP for the same reasons I didn't get a PS2, plus the extra reason of price. My GBA SP was a gift, and even though I love it, I may never have bought it myself since I don't do mobile gaming much.

Game genre is not an issue for me, I like 'em all... here's a few highlights:
    - Tetris Attack, Puyo Puyo
    - Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Rayman
    - Halo 1/2, Half-Life 1/2, Far Cry, Goldeneye
    - Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Ogre Battle, Chess
    - San Fransisco Rush 2049, Burnout Revenge, F-Zero (1/X/GX), Mario Kart (1/2/3)
    - Fuzion Frenzy, Mario Party
    - Sim City (1/2K,3), Civilization 3 (have not played #4 of either)
    - Starcraft, Warcraft 3, (several other RTSs)
    - WoW, RO
    - Final Fantasy 1-6, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Grandia (1/2)
    - Dungeon Siege, Never Winter Nights
    - Tekken 3, DoA (2/3/4), Killer Instincts, Street Fighter, Samurai Showdown (1-4), Ready2Rumble, Fight Night 3, OMF 2097
    - Tenchu, Splinter Cell, MGS
    - Tyrian, Geometry Wars, Gradius

Okay so that is a lot... wanted to listed several in every genre I could think of. I think the point is made though, I am not biased to genre. :)
  4. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    My all-time favorite, or my current favorite? This has nothing to do with system specs for me; it's all about the games and the controller.

My all-time favorite is the Sega Genesis. The games were unique and they did it for me...the Sonic series, especially Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Streets of Rage 2, Chakkan the Foreverman, De-cap Attack, all sorts of games. And for the cross-platform games it was my favorite system because of the awesome 6-button arcade pad and arcade stick. Street Fighter II' and Super SF II were awesome with that controller, even though the Genesis had a weaker display and sound chipset. Cool-Spot was arguably BETTER on the Genesis than the SNES. Just piles of stuff and I remain to this day a SEGA fanboi.

My current favorite system is probably the PS2. Again, it's the console-specific stuff that I love. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and La Pucelle: Tactics, as well as the Katamari Damacy series, Final Fantasy X, etc.

Oh, and Haoshiro, OMF2097 was an incredible game back in the days when my family had an MS-DOS PC. I loved it!
  5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Current: Cube - great mix of RPGs, FPSs and the best selection of Survival Horrors. When you add 480p on top of that, it's pwnage in a little black box :D

Next: Revolution - it'll be able to play all the great NES and SNES games and maybe some N64 games (the only 2 games I've ever played on an N64 were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark), as well as the Cube games. Plus there's the controller
  6. paddy macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
    N64 hands down. A few reasons - for the time incredible graphics, some unbelievably good games. Zelda Ocarina anyone? Goldeneye? Super Smash Bros., Conkers BFD, Mariokart, Mario 64, Starfox. The list goes on. The PS2 pales in comparison IMHO.
  7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    All time: Nintendo 64. That machine was just amazing. I don't really play old games because i don't really have fun with them anymore except for Super Mario 64. That game was just the pinnacle of greatness, and i think is THE best game of all time. AND THAT WAS A LAUNCH TITLE! So much stuff released for the N64 was great, especially from Rare. Additionally to Paddy's list, Donkey Kong 64 (WOAH FACTOR WAS SO HIGH) and Banjo Kazooie. Those 2 games, though so similar, were fantastic. And who can forget Perfect Dark? Those were 3 amazing titles from the Rare + Nintendo team. But as we see now, Rare definitely needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs Rare nowadays ;)
  8. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2003
    Only console I've got :)

Attached Files:

9. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2004
    London, UK
    Erm, PS2. Because its the console I own now.

Has loads of great games, plays DVDs, is small, and most importantly...

Pro Evo 5.:cool:
  10. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm kind of fond of our old Binatone TV Master, it's kinda freaky, but my mum's been a gamer for longer than I've been alive, and I'm 28. :eek:
  11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I'm gonna have to go with SNES here Bob....it was wonderful for its time and it made me go deeper into the world of games....I've own most every console out there...except the phantom;)

GBA....lovely handheld

PS2 will have to get mention because it is a wonderful box even though aged still holding it's own(All Silent Hill series, ICO, God of War, SOC) but i do love me some gamecube(Zelda, MP1&2, View..joe game, RE4,)

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    I love my gamecube and I can't really see myself being as happy with a PS2 or Xbox as I am with my gamecube. I think the controller is the best of the 3; it fits perfectly in my hands (except the z button should be below the r-button instead of above it). I also grew up with mario and zelda; the cube/nintendo have exclusive rights to mario, zelda and metroid (recent fan, after Prime).

I don't care much about online gameplay; I'd rather have my friends over anyway. Trash talking is way more fun in person. I really like immersive gameplay, which is something that I get on the cube.
  13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    I liked the Xbox but at times was frustrated with its "kinda" support for HD and widescreen, two big factors for me. The addition of Xbox Live was a nice feature, but implementation was left to the developers, which made it spotty at best.

...versus the 360 which I love. :)

I like the 360 so much because it's the first console to fully support HD (all games 720p/1080i), DD 5.1, and the Live intergration is key to me.

I'm also over 30 and the Xbox is really the only console that caters to my gaming tastes.

I don't know that I'd consider myself a "fan" per se; I certainly enjoy and like my system, but its not without flaws. For example, see my fairly critical review of the Xbox 360. Mostly I spend my time around these parts defending the Xbox misconceptions (and there are a lot) because MS is everyone's favorite whipping-boy.
  14. LagunaSol macrumors 601

Apr 3, 2003
    GameCube. Best. Controller. Ever.

I tire of realistic FPS/shooter/sports games, thus the PS2 and Xbox have no real appeal to me. Call me weird, but I probably have more fun playing MarioKart Double Dash than anything else out there.

I am brokenhearted that the new Nintendo won't support HD though. That's sad and shortsighted. This is 2006 after all...
  15. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Gainesville, Fl
    My most favorite games of all:

NES: Battletoad, battle bot (baseball?), double dragon, mario, and Teen. Mutant Ninja Turtle!!

SNES: Super Mario

N64: Mario 64, Mario Kart, Goldeneyes, StarFox, Smash Bro, Mario Party, Zelda (first one),

Dreamcast: The most addicting game I've ever played online - PSO (Phantasy Star Online), Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi.

XBOX: HALO (both offline and online thru a program on PC / MAC I forget) and HALO 2 as well as PSO too!!!

PS2 (never owned): GTA Vice City

EDIT: GameCube: Double Dash - The most addicting game ever for 4 players on racing!! FUN!
  16. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Right now? The DS. Bar non. I have never had as much fun on some games like Metroid Hunters, Mario Kart DS, Kirby.

I'd say the amiga. Folk are talking about the PS2 having long shelf life, how about a series of European consoles that were released in 1986 that could play games way better looking than Snes, could edit videos (even making special effects for films like Harry Potter) and all that. I think they died in 1997 but people are still developing games, they're still very much used (i get visitors on my site using Amiga OS 4!). brilliant.

But I suppose;

NES: introduced me to games. still play.
    N64: could be the ultimate for me. Zelda, Mario, Goldeneye, Rare games in general (when they were good).
    PSX: magical cheap looking games. It was like the Amiga had lived on. long load times, many MANY games. had a magic element to it. unlike the PS2.
    GBA: probably spent more time on this than any other. maybe. certainly spent more money on this system. killer. no wonder it's a worldwide uber-sucess despite its EPIC lack of features, weak power etc.
    GC: continued the life of the PS1. simple, magic games. as well as Windwaker and my highly loved Metroid Prime. Most comfiest and best button layout controller ever, IMO.

I can't put the Xbox in there. It was only a Media Centre to me. Games didn't appeal at all.
  17. Kernow macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2005
    Favourite Current: GameCube - because of Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Paper Mario and the controller
    Favourite All Time: N64 - bought it on launch day and am still playing it now. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark are all fantastic. It was also what I owned at university during time in a shared house, so I have good memories of all night Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Mario Tennis sessions.

I don't think that I have ever got rid of a console after I bought it, so the list of what I currently have is all the consoles I have ever owned:

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    NES - classic games, what more can I say...
    PS2 - amazing graphics, solid games...
  19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    XaiLink Kai?
  20. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Gainesville, Fl
    LOL no.

Gosh. It's been a while. I think I used a program from Gamespy (and can't remember the other program from other website too). You know what I mean? The other program (beside Gamespy) were the best, I think.
  21. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Favorite all-time console is probably the original PlayStation. That thing blew me away after playing SNES and Genesis for so long. Battle Arena Toshinden, Warhawk, Wipeout, Destruction Derby 2, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 3, FF VII, Time Crisis, Parappa...I could go on and on.

Current system? Can't pick one. I have, and play, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, GBA, PSP, and Nintendo DS. They are all great in their own way, but none of them stand head and shoulders above the others. I do like the quirky PS2 games like Ico, Shadow of Colossus and Katamari, though. And Guitar Hero kicks total ass. I guess I'd go with the PS2 if I had to pick one.

I'm very much looking forward to Revolution, PS3, and Xbox 360. In that order.
  22. FANBOY2U macrumors newbie

Apr 10, 2006
    Jaguar; had the most buttons. More buttons = more options.
  23. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    I loved Atari's ad campaign...

What was it, a pair of 32-bit 68k derivatives that made this "64 bit"? That'd make the Saturn "80 bit", with the inclusion of the two 32-bit Hitachi CPU's and the 16-bit 68k derivative.

The Humans was a hilarious Lemmings-like game, though. A lot of fun.
  24. eevor macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2005
    It's probably got to be the Playstation.

It's the console that kick started a sub-culture into the mainstream. Personally, it was playing Wipeout that I decided that I wanted to do something with my life - make gorgeous visual things.

I never owned a playstation, but my best friend did, and that shows the strength of a machine that half of the time I didn't even play. When I did, it was through supremely good games like Abe's Oddysee.

Still got a soft spot for the SNES though, with Zelda and Mario and Street Fighter II. Man, you can't beat gameplay like that I say. That was when games were about the game and not about the poly count.

Got an Xbox now, and that just fills in the gaps that Mac gaming has - which used to be vast, but now...

Good thread though.

Someone should tally up the answers and have a definitive Mac users favourite console to see what the break down is.
  25. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    my fav is xbox, the games are great, and it was easy to mod so now i can just rent games and burn em on, right on, go evox!

I dont know why people say ps2 is better then xbox, the xbox is a overall more powerful system, and the games are great