what is your favorite dog?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Mar 9, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    unlike ozzie, i can't afford a whole house full of dogs, so i am considering getting one dog

i like basenjis the best, but i heard they are one of the highest maintenance dog breeds out there

i have an eye on a daschund or a poodle, and the former is the only breed of dog i have ever been bitten by:p

btw...i have a persian mix ferile cat that is very low key and not bothered by much...so i don't know how that could factor into this whole equation...so any suggestions are welcome
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    labs and retrievers are my favorite. there both very smart dogs. labs are more playful and fun retrievers are more relaxed. but both can be playful or relaxed at times. i'm not a huge fan of little dogs.
  3. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    i used to have a basset hound.

they are a wonderful companion, however, their size and sadly, smell, make them more suited as an outdoor dog.

my old basset hound died of cancer close to christmas almost 6 years ago.

oh, and if you ever go to france with a basset, you can go hunting for truffels. ;)
  4. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Re: what is your favorite dog?

a poodle?

good god man, what is wrong with you?! ;) :D

get something more manly than that! :p
  5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    poodles are disgusting!

all the way.

or dogs that look like beagles.
  6. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2002
    Notre Dame
    i have a small dog, 25% poodle and 75% bichon. she is very cute, doesnt shed, and isn't a burden at all. usually i like bigger dogs, in fact my previous dog was a mix between a black lab and a pitbull, but i was young, and it was kinda viscious, so my parents gave it back to the shelter. i don't know what i would do without my dog tho, she's been like a best friend for the last few years. it's great you're getting a dog, i think everyone should have one. they make life so much happier :)
  7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I had a basset as well... Definitely needed a bath every week :) And they don't do stairs too well...

However the only dog for me :)

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    mutts, mutts, mutts - you should go to a shelter and find one - they even have puppies from time to time if you want to train one yourself. But that does take a lot of time.

I spent many hours a day with my dog as a pup, and she's really well behaved - although from time to time she does act up a bit. In general, though, you couldn't reall ask for a better dog.

Half JackRussell, part Blue Tick Coon Hound/Lab/Beagle mix. 100% mutt. :D

9. badhorsie777 macrumors member

Jan 31, 2003
    You should track down a welsh cardigan/pembrooke corgi. I have one and she has THE BEST personality. She's about 35-40 pounds and small enough to be cool inside, big enough to run around outside (they're fast too!). That's my opinion. Course, I got her through an abandoned pet agency here in town. I REALLY think you should check out the pound and the rescue agencies around you, as they have so many great dogs that all deserve a great home. Some one like you who is putting some thought into it, and sounds serious, is the perfect person to help out a great dog some yahoo abandoned.

My 2 cents anyways. By the way, corgi's smile REALLY great. They have a constant happy smile that just melts you.

10. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Hey, poodles are cool, just make sure to avoid pure breeds, they're often inbred to keep them pure.[​IMG]

11. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
  12. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
  13. pivo6 macrumors 68000

Dec 2, 2002
    I agree with others and go to an animal shelter and find one your size/temperment. i have a terrier/springer spaniel mix and she's the best for my family. She has never bitten my two small children despite how much they have bothered her.
  14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Hot, of course.

Collies are good too but they're most like friends than food. :D
  15. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2002
    Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    The smartest dog I ever knew was a pit bull/boxer mix. Most well behaved and pretty tough looking as well. She died from nerve damage caused by a run-in with a car 4 years earlier. I recently got a similar one from the shelter, but due to the responsibilites of being an adult I don't have time to train her like I did the other one. My cousin also had the first dog's brother, and he was smart and well behaved as well. I highly recommend this mix if you can find it.
  16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    Miniature Doberman Pinscher. Good personality lots of spunk can be smart as hell. They act like a regular Doberman but less bite ;) Get one that has parents that are 1.5-2' tall.

A Beagle or Jack Russell is always a good choice to.
  17. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Rat Terriers are great dogs. They are very diversified though.
    Some are butt ugly, but others (like mine) can me model dogs.

Good dogs though.
  18. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Dalmations and Weimaraners......

When I get my own place (i.e not rented) I'm going to have one of each.... and they'll be called Taxi and Hoover.....

We have a family Dalmation at the moment, what can I say..... one of the only breeds that can 'smile' when they're happy!! :)
  19. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2002
    seattle, wa
    Re: what is your favorite dog?

Any dog that I can hold in my arms:p makes the dog more lovable :p

daschunds are the best
  20. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Don't care much for the show grooming style, extreme!
  21. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    I grew up with a Cardigan Welch Corgi. They are extremely well behaved, easy to train, and very good with kids. They are a little dog with a big dog misdemeanor meaning they don't go irate over little things and yap and yap and yap. Another great thing is they travel very well. Mine has ridden over a 100k miles on the back of a motorcycle. They are also extremely stout and do not have any common physical weaknesses.

I had a Dachshund for a couple years as a kid and they all seem to be prone to nipping people. They seem to be a one person dog and therefore are a protective of there master and or jealous of anyone else taking attention away from them.

I also love Boxers. They are such a great dog. They are extremely lovable. Fairly low maintenance. They don't have hip or other in breeding problem and are great watch dogs.

My fiancé had a Dalmatian and I must say that it was the most untrustworthy dog I have ever come across. They tend to get very self centered as they get older. This one would snap at it's own owners when they tried to give it a command it didn't want to do. It also developed terrible arthritis in it's hip joints and then eventually went dead and blind.
  22. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I prefer the Giant Schnauzer, a very regal breed. My parents had on when I was young named Lady. Since getting married have had 4 Giants. The 1st Collette, a champion. We co-owned her. She had 1 litter with 11 puppies, all lived. One named Lovewinds Happy New Year, almost sold as a pet, but a MD in Florida purchased him. He was a National Champion for 2 years. :)

Another was Ham, friendly and loveable.

After moving to Boston purchased Amadeus & Cossette, littermates. They were great grandchildren of Collette.

Great pet, gentle giants. People were always interested in them on the street. A great way to meet new people.

I miss them all!

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    I plan on adopting a Grey Hound for my next dog. I just hate to see them put down. They don't bark and they are very good around kids. I will have a lot of room for them to run out at my dad's place.
  24. guitargeek macrumors regular

Feb 20, 2003
    My favorite kind of dog? German Shepard, all the way. One thing though: DO NOT get one bred in the USA. They're bred in this country to have a sloping back, which leads to hip displacia problems. My shepard actually came from Germany, and doesn't have that ugly back, and he's been quite healthy as far as hips and joints go (even after he got lyme disease early in his life).

Beagles are also awesome. They're, like, almost half as awesome as Strong Bad. Some of the friendliest dogs I've known are beagles.

And don't get this type of dog:

They're ratty and bark a lot and are annoying and wake you up at 6:00 in the morning growling at the shirt you hung over a chair.
  25. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000

wow, it sounds like you need to get the electric collar from the vet:p