Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Black&Tan said:
Have to agree with leekohler, the Death of Captain Marvel by Jim Starlin. I read that almost 25 years ago (has it been THAT long??), and it still has an impact on me today. I remember the futileness of his fight, the denial, and finally his ultimate submission. Removing the illusion of death.

Finality.

It was intense, I remember. I still have it packed away somewehere.

Ha! We're dating oursleves with this one, aren't we?

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
mrgreen4242 said:
Another vote for Watchmen. I would have been just another [good] 'book if it hadn't been for the comic-in-a-comic pirate story, for me at least. Something about the symmetry of the stories made everything else work for me.

And yet another vote for Watchmen... actually, anything Alan Moore has written!

XNine

macrumors 68040
princealfie said:
onizuka, have you read all 6 volumes of the Akira series?:eek:

Yes, I have. Akira, back in 88 when I first saw it from a friend's uncle, opened my eyes to the world a lot more. I never knew there were ultra-violent and well written animated movies until then. I then started picking up the Akira series when it was re-issued in larger volumes. It's quite impressive. I have the original press of the issue where Kaneda is holding Yamagata's headless body on the cover.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Well, it did not start as a graphic novel, but the Sandman series is pretty great.

Otherwise, ditto on the Watchmen, still love the Comedian, reminds me of Pagliacci.

happycom.gif

And Batman: The Dark Knight is still a great one.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
leekohler said:
It was intense, I remember. I still have it packed away somewehere.

Ha! We're dating oursleves with this one, aren't we?

Yep. That was during the height of my comic book collecting. I've still got a couple copies packed away in storage. If I remember correctly, when it first came out, there was a big deal because it was comic dealer only. Remember that changeover? Moon Knight #15 and Ka-Zar. All dealer only. I was in a rural town in West Virginia and we had to con our parents into taking a 1-2 hour drive to Huntington just to get these. They were tough to find at first.'

Those were the days...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Black&Tan said:
Yep. That was during the height of my comic book collecting. I've still got a couple copies packed away in storage. If I remember correctly, when it first came out, there was a big deal because it was comic dealer only. Remember that changeover? Moon Knight #15 and Ka-Zar. All dealer only. I was in a rural town in West Virginia and we had to con our parents into taking a 1-2 hour drive to Huntington just to get these. They were tough to find at first.'

Those were the days...

Moon Knight! OMG! I loved that one!

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
leekohler said:
Moon Knight! OMG! I loved that one!

Remember Marvel Fanfare? That had the potential to be good, but....

As I look back through the veil of time, I remember the classic X-Men "Days of Future Past" story arch as being ahead of its time (if you'll excuse the pun). Byrne, Austin and Claremont were top of the heap. Cerebus was almost "underground." Art Adams was shocking the field with his Longshot and Aquaman series. Neal Adams was still doing Ms Mystic.

Remember Bizarre Adventures and Epic Magazines?

wonderland

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2006
Graphic Novels!!!

I highly recommend FABLES. It's absolutely the best-written title I've ever, ever read. Better than Gaiman's Sandman. Better than Frank Miller.
They have the collected versions at amazon or in better book stores.
You won't regret it.

Also try WE3, Arrowsmith, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1 & 2. The PREACHER series. Wolverine:ORIGIN (surprisingly) reads like classic Victorian literature. Arkham Asylum. God Loves, Man Kills. Gaiman's "Mr. Punch." Omaha.

What else?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Onizuka said:
Akira
Blade of the Immortal
Battle Angel: Alita (AKA GUNM)
Ghost In The Shell
Awesome, someone with taste, rather than a CLAMP freak.

I kid! I like Chobits. :p

I'll add some:
Azumanga Daioh (****ing hilarious)
PlanetES (awesome sci-fi)
BLAME! (Ink seems to take up 75% of each page)
Buddha (Tezuka goodness! Too bad it's flipped :mad: )
Oh My Goddess! (Belldandy <3)
Qwan (just started, has some potential)
You're Under Arrest! (Same guy who does OMG (Kosuke Fujishima), unfortunately cut short due to him being pleased with how the first bit of OMG came out.)
GTO
Dominion: Tank Police (unfortunately unfinished)
Appleseed (better than either animated version)

Yeah, okay, so I'm a Shirow fan. Heck I even bought GitS: Man-Machine Interface, which makes absolutely no sense after the middle!

Angelus said:
On the topic of Manga, I remember reading Appleseed once or twice.
The entire series or just the first book? There are five total.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Counterfit said:
Awesome, someone with taste, rather than a CLAMP freak.

What you want me to go ahead and say i also have tokyo babylon, and Tsubasa?

and a Chi Lighter, and CLAMP volume 1? among many CLAMP anime?

And the the xxxHOLiC anime is like sex?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
jayb2000 said:
Well, it did not start as a graphic novel, but the Sandman series is pretty great.
Anything with the Endless is good, but Death: The High Cost Of Living is my fave. Preacher is good too. Anyone read Johnny The Homicidal Maniac and it's sequel Squee? Done by the same guy who did Invader Zim, Jhonen Vasquez. He and Roman Dirge are a trip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.