what is your handle about?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 8, 2002.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

jefhatfield is not my real name but jef and hatfield are two of the characters my friend and i came up with for a comedy tape

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I use to live on Duke St. when I first moved to Old Town. Then I went and got www.dukestreet.com so I've used dukestreet in most of my online signins. I'll be changing my name in this forum in a couple of months though.

3. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well...

I rowed in college, hence "Rower"...

and since I'm into computers, and I consider myself a brainiac :rolleyes: "CPU"

4. macrumors G3

iGAV is almost my real name...... i = internet.... come on.... I had to jump on the internet i bandwagon......... (feel free to use, idiot or ignoramous) GAV = my name Gavin...... simplicity itself....

5. macrumors G3

I like rowing........ :D although I've never had the pleasure of being on the water only in gyms...... :rolleyes: :( :p

6. macrumors 68030

britboy

A couple of years ago i spent a 9 months at a language school in austria (not australia :p) to learn german. From around 200 students, i was only british person. When it came to choosing login names for the network, britboy just seemed appropriate :) It's kind of stuck since then.

7. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

cool, what school?

when i caught onto the rowing bug, i was already graduated...but if i could row around where i live, i would choose stanford...i don't know of any other schools with a crew in no. california

when i was visiting stanford, they were loading the boat on a truck and they almost dropped it but i ran up and caught it and helped them put it up...that is the closest i have ever got to a boat

when i was an exchange student in england i was cambridge or oxford and it was a sight to behold

is rowing only an elite private college sport? because i never see anything like that at the public colleges around california like san jose state or berkeley

and would they ever consider a crew for grad students or older students?

8. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

iGAV-
    You absolutely must try it out on the water! It feels so much different...and the ergs just suck after awhile. :p

jefhatfield-
    San Diego State University, where I work now, and where I'm graduating from next week :)D :D :D !!!).

Our Men's crew is technically a club sport, even though we competed with Cal, Stanford, Harvard etc at certain regattas. Our Women's team is NCAA DI because of the whole TitleIX thing.

Other norCal schools...UC Davis, Sac State, Humboldt State, Cal, Stanford...there may be more, but those are the only ones that come to mind right now.

Cal is the defending national champs for like a million years or something...they recruit european rowers that have 15 years experience or some crazy thing like that.

If you really want to get into it, age is not a limiting factor. We have guys down here that are in their 70s and still get out on the bay every morning. You should check with a local aquatic center or boathouse and see about lessons.

I can't believe that Stanford almost dropped a boat...those things cost as much as cars...:rolleyes:

9. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think mine's self explanatory, don't you think?

the ironic twist though... i don't drink. oh well. guess i'm missing out on something. ha

10. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

so there is a school i can AFFORD that has a rowing team!

but i graduated many years ago so i am most likely ineligible for college sports...i know this one guy with a restaurant who changed his name many times and has something like a 20 year college football career...he finally got caught but they did a huge story on him in the local paper and his sports bar has the biggest paraphanalia one can imagine...he he

congrats on finishing school

11. macrumors 6502a

Geert

Geert is pretty obvious I guess, that is my real name.
    When I registered here on MR, I thought that you're login name was only to log in, and that I could choose a nickname once I signed in.

I'm thinking of changing it when I reach 500. already have the first 'tar ready :D

Probably change it in 'kriek' which is short for my last name, and also my nickname.

12. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

For the company site I work at, I am the lead tech (lead=alpha, as in alpha dog :D )... you can figure the rest.

13. macrumors regular

I always admired Apple computers but was put off the higher cost and the lack of memory protection in OS 9.

When OS X came out I considered a Mac as a serious contender for my next computer. Seeing as I'm currently a pc user and I was thinking about buying a Mac I considered myself a "pc_convert?"

I suppose I should drop the question mark now because I'll buy a Mac after I finish my finals.

14. macrumors 68000

mcrain

My first name starts with an M. Also, I didn't want to use the screenname I usually use.

15. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    3rdpath is a economic mindset much like downshifting.

in it's broadest sense it means choosing to have less regardless of income.

a cheaper home, an older car, less fancy clothes-etc. its a way of stepping away from the rat race and taking control over your time-which i think is life's most precious resource.

it was not an easy transition but i could see the long term implications: no amount of money is ever enough.

16. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    mcrain

re: the new satan/bill avatar...i just peeed myself:D

17. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I started working with Mac's in 1985. I switched to PC's in 92 and stayed there until 99. I came over, but just briefly because the wife had to run AutoCad for school, and VPC did not cut it. So, sold the Macs, and went back to PC's. Now VPC will handle AutoCad, so hence the name Backtothemac :cool:

18. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: mcrain

Oh that one is good, ha, I just don't think he lingers enough in the devil form.....

19. macrumors 6502

macstudent

I am currently a college student at UW - Milwaukee, and this summer I will be buying my first mac after macworld. I have been using macs for years, but it has only been in computer labs and limited use at peoples houses. Therefore I feel I am still learning when it comes to macs and their inner workings. I can't wait to dive into OS X and really learn the ins on this great new operatings system.

Although if the only thing we see at macworld this summer is a minor bump to the g4's I will wait til Jan. If I am going to buy a new mac I would hope it has decent Ram. Maybe I will be able to even get a g5 (doubt it will be out, but I hope so)

20. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: Re: mcrain

Agreed, but I'm still new at this...

Just made it worse...

21. macrumors 65816

Taft

Its a nickname I received in college. Friends started calling me Taft because of a character on the Tick TV show. I started using it often and it just took.

22. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I give up... I ruined my Bill Gates avatar... :(

23. macrumors 68030

britboy

I think you could do with slowing the scales down a little. Possibly a lighter background?

24. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

eye like art

it's purely self-explanatory...he he he...:p

basically....I was choosing a new screen name for AOL about 5 years ago....and I wanted it to make a statement of some sort about my love for art....

so after some tries....I came up with "eyelikeart"....

I've gotten pretty lucky thus far....as anytime I register anything on the net...the handle is always available...he he he :D

25. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hey mcrain, I think you need to slow things down a bit too. What happened to Bill the Devil? No backup copy? That sucks. If you need help, let me know.