What is your opinion on underage (under 18's) getting pierced?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by elisha cuthbert, Oct 20, 2006.

1. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

So, I have been wanting to get my ear re-pierced for a while but now the parents are saying that they own my body until i turn 18 and I just wanted to know what your views are on this issue and the general issue of under 18's getting pierced.

2. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

You said re-pierced? So you've presumably already been through this?

Doesn't your school have rules about piercing?

But, whatever, you're 16. Listen to your parents, follow their advice (as crazy as it may seem sometimes) and maybe you'll turn into a decent adult. Believe me, at 16 you know nothing. Not an insult to you, just looking back at myself.

And lastly, IMO it's a little underhand coming on an Internet forum asking members whether we think your parents are right and, by implication, whether we think you should abide by your parents' wishes.

3. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i think you should listen to your parents. Why do you want your ears pierced anyways? Must be for attention, like the attention your seeking out now so people will hate your parents along with you. I'm 19, IMO just don't pierce your ears. what bothers me is that stuff they do when they stretch their ears, that's just plain stupid.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hmm, well here you're not allowed to vote/drink/buy cigarettes/a few other things, until you're 18 but your parents lose the ability to tell you what to do at 16. So... unless it's outside the rule of law you'd be fully within your rights to do whatever you want.

I'm not a huge fan of piercing, a set of earrings on a girl is fine but any more than one per ear to me starts looking strange. Anywhere else is a bit much (mind you my ex-gf had her nipples done - :D ) and I think a male with any piercing just looks silly.

It's the only area I'd consider myself conservative, anything else is open slather but piercing I always just think "why?" Maybe it's because I don't like the idea of going through pain and bleeding just to have something shiny put on you - same with tattoos "why?"

Either way it's your decision, you do what you want. That is assuming that your folks don't actually have a legal leg to stand on, if they do in fact have legal control over you right up to 18 then you're basically stuffed. If you're expecting them to pay then you've got no chance.

5. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

yes i have had it done before, lip,ear lobe x2,top ear and I had that when i was 8 after i went out with my cousin (32), and we both got them. however the parents never found out.

Yes my school does have rules but they don't rule them anymore (since we got girls there the standards slipped)

its not for attention, and if you think im trying to get people to hate my parents your dead wrong. I am having troubles with my dad but thats only because he has been a real prick after his stroke, and i would stand by my mum any day.
    and i agree with you about the people that have them stretched, but all i am wanting is the standard piercing thats all , no more

well thats what they say but i can show you video of it being broken, we made a documentary about all that last year for multimedia

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You missed my point. My point wasn't that stuff like that doesn't happen (I'm in Australia for god's sake, we get beer in our baby bottles) but that down here your parents lose legal power over your decisions at 16 and you were free to do what you want (move out, leave school after year 10 etc) so long as it was within the boundaries of the law.

EDIT - and it looks like you're an Aussie too, didn't notice that at first. You can legally do what you want but if you want the continued support and respect from your parents my advice would be to suck it up and get over it. Wait till you're 18 and go from there.

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

As a parent of 3 children, I must say until you are 18 you should do as your parents say. At least here in the states, anyway.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You can wait a couple of years. It's not that big of a deal and probably not worth the fight. By then, you might not even want it. I had an earring put in when I was younger because I had a gf who wanted to have hers done again and it was a 2 for 1 deal. Looking back (29 now), it was kinda dumb, and not as cool as I thought. I've had friends who get things like that done for the right reasons, not because someone else wants them to, or in some cases because their guardians don't want them to, and they feel a lot better about it.

Wait and get a really good one or a tattoo or something.

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Talking of the law as arbitrator over you and your parents' disagreements is a little pointless. I hope for you that you can listen to your parents' advice as long as they are alive. You don't outgrow your parents. What changes when you become the magic 18 (or whatever age your society perceives as adult) is that they cease to rule and begin advising. I'm a lot older than you (with three children of my own) and can listen to advice from people half my age or twice my age, related or not. Sure you don't like some of their rules, but that's life.

Anyway, just wait until you're 18. My very conservative mother let me get my ear pierced at 18. It came out after Uni when I started work. No way would she or my school have let me at 16.

Now I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get a Prince Albert :D :D

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

:)

For the less-informed/more-innocent I was tempted to paste a link to a Google Image Search...but decided against it :D :D

12. Motley macrumors 6502

Thank you :D

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Elisha, I think you should do what you want, no matter how much the bad taste. It's a wonderful attention-getting device. And you'll certainly enjoy the extra efforts in avoiding infections, through the years.

'Rat

14. vniow macrumors G4

Sorry, I have to agree with the majority here and say wait. A couple of years won't kill you. Here in the US shops will only pierce under 18 year olds (down to 16) with parental consent. Over 18 and its all game. As long as you're still living with them you have to play by their rules.

BTW, I have seven and so does my 17 year old sister (I think) so don't think I'm one of the anti-piercing types which tend to show up in threads like these. ;)

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I can't stand parents who say they 'own' their children. What planet of ownership laws are they on anyway? .. I have two kids of my own, btw. My parents had a similar attitude and we ended up on pretty icy terms until a few years ago. I was never into body decoration. mind.

All that said, just for an ear piercing, I don't see the big deal unless you're going for those piercings that stretch out your earlobe and leave a giant wilting hole in the middle. Your parents know you much better than we do though, so perhaps they have a good reason for being opposed to the piercing. Take their advice, but assert ownership over your body!

General views: I don't have any. Since I was 15, I've had lots of friends with piercings in all different places of their bodies. I thought it was pretty lame, but nothing to worry about. I still find it an acceptable 'lifestyle choice.' Now if you start failing classes and skipping your homework, that's a whole different kettle of fish... but nothing to do with piercing.

edit: Why is there a majority here concerned about an ear piercing? She's not asking for genital piercings or even an eyebrow, just an ear!

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think I agree w/ vniow.

Once you're of age, I figure if you really want to do it, do it. But if your parents aren't happy right now and you're living on their tab*, it'd be wise to just go with the flow.

*Or you could be silly like I was, got a 2nd set of piercings on my lobe even though I knew my mother would hate it... and I regret doing so since I apparently didn't really want the piercing, it's closed up now, and I hate feeling where the holes once were. Argh. Shoulda listened to my mom on that one. :eek:

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My daughter's over 18 (21 now), but got two piercings on one ear when she was 17, one on the other ear later, one on her belly button, and she came back from Pakistan with one on her nose. I hate them. But I love her. It's not worth hassling over.

Now, tramp stamps are another issue. :)

18. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Was this phrase used? This literal phrase "we/I own your body?" That's a terribly ugly thing to say.

If so, I would spite them and get the piercing. Then, I'm spiteful.

If not, I'd wait. It doesn't seem so when you're young, but you have years to decide who you are and how you'll decorate yourself. Thinking it through -- even if it's to the tune of two years -- will have a positive long term and short term impact on your psychology and your life.

That said, your body is yours. So, do what you will with it.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He. ;) Not that we're against it, but the parents are, and they make the rules. For better or worse. He'd be doing it for the wrong reasons anyway. Nothing wrong with waiting a year or 2.

20. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

ok, i was having a chat with my mum about it today and she has agreed to let me have it and said that she had been wondering how long it would take me to find out that she really didnt own my body till 18 but rather 16. but the only condition is that i must wait until i have finished exams at school but im willing to wait that long

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, that's a nice compromise I suppose. As long as Dad is still onboard. Sometimes people who go through stuff like that can get grumpy, I wouldn't take it personal.

And don't get something too gawdy. You'll regret it later on. Trust me.

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Do as you wish, it's your body. Just take responsibility when you regret it.