what is your school's mascot?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 29, 2003.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

i have been an otter, padre, lobo, mustang, cossack, and griffin...and something else for santa barbara city college...assuming they had a mascot back in 1985:p

also, what is the strangest or dumbest mascot out there?

near where i live, the local university of california at santa cruz are the banana slugs

2. macrumors 68040

tazo

mine is the thunderbird :)

I have been hmmm...
    mustang, shark, bobcat, 'energy', and now in high school the 'thunderbird'. Our rival high school in the same town are the 'highlanders'. lol.

Our graduating class's name is 'yogi' :p it could have been Spongebob squarepants. :Shudders:::
    good thread jef, :)

3. macrumors 603

janey

the school's mascot is the gaspar de portola dude who murdered people :rolleyes:
    the people in the magnet have been trying to get the school to change the mascot...unsuccessfully.
    the graduating class has their own mascot that they choose, ours was between an ugly turtle only two people voted for, Tux the Linux mascot that everyone thought was cute and this horse with a lady next to it who looks like trinity from the matrix...
    it was close...but the horse won. guess what our motto is?! :D "Think Different."

4. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Aztecs.

Don't get me started on all the crap we've gone through the past couple of years with a Native American mascot.

5. macrumors G4

Re: what is your school's mascot?

Hell yeah, those bananna slugs rock!

6. macrumors 604

scem0

a trojan... and no, I'm not talking about a condom.... :rolleyes: :D ;)

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors 603

shadowfax

do you say that like keesters? hahahaha! nice!

westwood warriors here, except i graduated already. the ceremony is tomorrow at 9:00 AM, but i'm not going. we also get crap about native american stuff. i really don't understand that BS. it's culture, it's not so pretty always, but really...

9. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Re: what is your school's mascot?

I have a Santa Cruz banana slug T-shirt. No, I didn't go to school there. But I dropped in once just to see the campus and came home with the shirt.

Lots of colleges choose ferocious-sounding animals as mascots. Lions and Tigers are popular, although there seem to be more Eagles than anything else. Some of the less-common animals that serve as college mascots are: Anteaters, Armadillos, Bees, Boll Weevils, Frogs, Griffins, Kangaroos, Koalas, Larks, Pelicans, Scorpions, Sea Gulls, Sea Otters, Spiders, Turtles, and Whales. Oregon Tech's mascot is The Hustlin' Owls. Personally, I never see owls hustle, but maybe they only do so at night.

I'm not sure what these beasts are:

* College of the Atlantic Blackflies (Maine)

* Evergreen State College Geoducks (Washington state)

Best of all: schools with Jaguars as mascots!

10. macrumors regular

I just graduated from high school, my mascot was a cavemen and cavegirl. This is because we obviously have the Carlsbad caverns :p

At my college, New Mexico Tech, I'm going to become a Miner (New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology :p)

11. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

12. macrumors 65816

Well, hmm, lets see.

There is a snake for a house we call Slytherin
    A lion for a house Gr.....

Oh, our ACTUAL schools :D

We have a yellow lion for Wesley.

Yellow lion on purple blazers, even our internet (ethernet) cords are purple with yellow clip protectors!

13. macrumors 604

MacBandit

My high schools mascot was a billie goat. We were the Pleasant Hill Billies. Anyone notice the Hill Billy part? Well when the school originaly started in the 1800's it was the Pleasant Hill Hill Billies. They were the first official public school in Oregon.

14. macrumors 603

shadowfax

whiirrrrrr, dude i used to live in Las Cruces. New Mexico is the coolest state. i love the desert--nice cool nights :D

15. macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

were the wildcats
    booring i know but whatever

16. macrumors regular

in highschool and all previous schools, we were the Warriors, but in college, were the Corsairs (pirates) Our logos and stuff are pretty lame looking, but i think it could potential if designed correctly.

17. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

some pretty emberassing mascots

i went to 2 high schools everyday. i had one bad ass mascot (The Taylor Alderdice Dragons) and one inexcusably pansy mascott (The CAPA Unicorns)...

in college i was a Pioneer and a Tartan. Neither school had much going athletically, so it really didn't matter.

18. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: some pretty emberassing mascots

While we may now associate the unicorn with pansy and put it in the category with pretend tea parties. In it's day it was supposed to be a mythical beast of immense power.

19. macrumors G3

My infant and junior school was a Badger 'Birch Hill Badgers'...

My High School was a 'Monk' with the phrase... 'Learn To Be Free'.... :rolleyes: :p

20. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

"The Rebels"

I think that is the saddest name because the school I go to is Great Neck South, the sad past it a that the North team is called
    "The Blazers"
    The Rebels vs The Sports Jacket. :eek: :p ;)

21. macrumors 68000

pivo6

My high school's was a cardunal. No, that's not a typo, but it stood for the tri cities of Carpentersville, Dundee, and Algonquin, IL . College mascot was Chief Illiniwek of the U of Illinois.

22. macrumors newbie

23. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Well today is my last day of high school, and my high school mascot is an Eagle and my Middle school mascot was a "twister" like a tornado...

24. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

25. macrumors 65816