What keyboard should I get?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukemeiser, Jan 12, 2004.

1. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2002
    I've actually been thinking about getting a keyboard, and GB pushed me over the top. But which one should I get? Is the 49-key from the Apple store good enough? Or should I go with more keys? The problem is, I don't know if one with more keys would work as well with GB as the one Apple is selling.
  2. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2002
    Wake Forest, NC
    I looked at it this way when I ordered mine.

1) Money - Get the least expensive one. You can always go eBay.

2) Use - I don't know what kind of use I or my family is going to get out of this, if I add one with all these extra buttons vs. just keys and a few extras it could overwhelm everyone and turn into a dust collector

So I went with the least expensive keyboard option. I think it'll work best for me.
  3. NightThree macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2003
    The KeyStation 49e that Apple's advertising looks pretty good. MacMall has it for $79 (after instant discount)... I'm going to keep checking Froogle to see if it comes down.
  4. jcroft macrumors member

Jun 3, 2003
    Does anyone know if that M-Audio 49e that Apple is pimping has weighted keys? I want an inexpensive keyboard around 49 keys in size, but as a piano player, I gotta have weighted keys...

Thanks in advance.

5. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

Feb 26, 2003
    Key Board selection???

The macally ICEKEY is great if you
    like a lap top touch....quick keys
    and the least amount of finger
    strain.....I love mine.
  6. jcroft macrumors member

Jun 3, 2003
    Uhmmm....I think we're talking about musical, piano-style keyboards here...not Mac keyboards. :)
  7. mstecker macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    More expensive, but the best value

... out there is

The StudioLogic 990 MIDI Controller

This is $399 at Guitar Center and Musician's Friend.

Sure, it's more than the $99 keyboards, but "it's the best $300 you'll ever spend"
  8. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    i couldnt agree more... thats why i chose the 99 dollar option as well :D
  9. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2002
    Re: What keyboard should I get?

Any keyboard will work as well with GB as any other keyboard, these keyboards are midi, they simply transmit a set of instructions to the software and any keyboard will transmit the same set of instructions. The more keys the better, the more knobs the better. Trust me as you get into you will want a better keyboard, I did!

If you are a pianist, make sure you get a sustain pedal too!
  10. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    Any MIDI keyboard would work with GB as long as its set up right in Core MIDI.

jcroft - any 49-key keyboard is not going to be weighted. Weighting comes in the full 88- or 71-key sizes.

If I were looking to mess around, I would get a 61-key model that's USB, so there's no external MIDI interface needed. Many of the smaller ones (especially by M-Audio) are powered by the USB bus so there's no need for a power adapter, although they come with one.

Depending on your seriousness about it, it is worth the investment. A lot of programs accept the controls from the knobs to control effects and other parameters.

11. 512ke macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2003
    Two inexpensive alternatives

Evolution MK-361
    61 keys
    touch sensitive keys
    $180 at KellysMusicAndComputers.com

M-audio Radium61
    61 keys
    $200 at sweetwater.com

Both MIDI USB, don't need external power. Neither is weighted. Both are velocity (touch) sensitive I believe.
  12. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
  13. requies macrumors member

Mar 30, 2003

if touch really is that important to you, i would highly recommend taking a trip to your local music store to try out their keyboards. my local guitar center had a huge selection set up to try out and i took a good while trying out each one. i finally decided on a yamaha P80 and i love it. it had the heaviest keys of any i tried, but isn't sticky, either. it beats my parents' old "real piano" hands down. but i know you're looking for just a controller in a different price range, but it's still a good idea to get out there and try them first hand. :)