What kind of Code?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Hellman702, Mar 28, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2012
    hello! im new to programming with MAC's and id like to know what kind of code do i use? if you need to know what im talking about i use to program using "PYTHON" and C+". id really like to know how to make a simple based application that has buttons and upon clicking the button will cause something funny to happen. as in maybe it opens a website. thanks! if you could also post a link to an program. im currently using a Windows computer. so id like to code for macs on a Windows. thanks!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 2, 2008
    Yes. And No.

- You can't code for Macs on a Windows machine.

- If you do get a Mac:
    download Xcode from the Mac Apple Store
    join Apple's Mac (or iOS) developer program
    buy Cocoa Programming for the Mac - Hillgrass
    run through the book
    join a club or get a programming buddy

- when you make your first million dollars, don't forget your old friends (and maybe throw a few bucks my way)
  3. macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    Not entirely true. You can program for Macs using Python, Java or C++ or any number of other languages.

If you want to do cross platform programming I'd recommend using C++ and the Qt framework or using Java and the Swing framework. Both of those options will enable you to program for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux at the same time.
  4. macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2011
    Of course one can write code for Macs on a windows machine. It's very easy using platform independent languages and libraries like python and java. But in principle it's also possible to write Objective C code that makes use of the Cocoa library... it's just highly inconvenient, since the interface builder can't be accessed and one still needs a OX machine to compile the code.