What kind of life should be getting from a MBP15 battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mojo67821, May 30, 2006.

1. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

On a full charge I only get about 2 - 2.5 hours. Even less if I'm doing something intensive, or using windows.

Is that normal? I know they were replacing some MBP batteries, is mine defective?

Also, what kind of procedure is that? Would I have to send my comp in or is it something I can have done at the apple store?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Have you calibrated it? Are you using wifi? Is bluetooth on? What's your screen brightness?

3. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

Don't know how to calibrate.

I do use bluetooth for my mouse, but most of the time when it's on battery that means the bluetooth is not being used b/c i'm using the trackpad. Should I turn it off when it's not in use?

I'm always using wifi

The brightness is usually close to full.

4. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Check this out then http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284
    I get around 4 hours on a full charge

The screen probably drains most power out of the 3 things you mentioned. Turning down the brightness will give you more juice.
    And yeah turn BT off when not utilized.

5. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that sounds like a pain in the ass. Is it worth it?

The idea of leaving my comp on till it goes to sleep and shuts down is kind of scary.

If I leave it to do this overnight, is that too long?

6. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Yeah it's worth it. And not hat big of a hassle, and not scary at all :)

I just play Futurama episodes till it goes to sleep, and then let i sit there over night. When I wake up it's completely drained.

And you only have to do this like once a month to extend the life of your battery.

7. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

alright thanks.

I'll also try to lower the screen brightness and turn off bluetooth when I'm not using it.

8. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Wow, you are getting 4 hours? I've got a 2.16 with a 7200 rpm drive and get hardly 2 and a half.

As for "calibrating" the battery, I always run it until it says that I am running on reserve power and then plug it in. Tonight, I guess i'll let it run totally out, and then leave it overnight and plug it tomorrow morning. Does that really help?

Thanks for the article though!

9. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

when you're trying to maximize battery life, turn down the contrast of the screen to the lowest setting (before it goes completely off). Yeah it's a bit of a pain to work with but on my Powerbook I get about 1-2 extra hours.

10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

The 7200rpm will bring it down some.

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Let's see, I had it on for an hour and a half and it depleted to about 50-something percent. :S

But I can get two episodes of Lost, and deplete it down to 34%. I think I'll try calibrating it, but not tonight.

12. Nate4747 macrumors regular

Calibration is essential. Since every battery is slightly different, it lets the controller on the battery determine how much capacity it actually has. It will easily extend your battery charge, and will preserve the overall life of the battery by doing it once a month.

13. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

actually no. I was reading an article with some long explination as to why but i forgot where. It said that they have the same in power drainage and in some well built drives it even has better battery life with 7200 :confused: