what kind of machead would you consider yourself to be?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chibianh, Feb 26, 2002.

?

what level of expertise are you?

1. Newbie

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Expert

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  3. Knows more than big Jobs himself

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Hi. Just wondering what level of expertise everyone on this forum consider themselves to be. As for me, I am a born again mac newbie. I've used systems 6 and 7 back in the day, but then went peecee. Now I am back and using OSX..

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

depends on which OS...

as far as X is concerned.....I'm very newbie....was able to set it up without much help or confusion....but not too familiar with Unix....

9 and below.....there's a whole other story! :p

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i think a lot of us here would echo your sentiments artkid. and i bet some of the unix guys feel the reciprocal, although its hard to be any kind of expert with osx since its so new.

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i know a lot more about design aesthetics/ theory/art etc. etc. then i do know about the tech side. im trying my best to learn about the tech side cause it would make my job as a graphic artist a lot easier from that level. this is why i throw a lot of questions to the mac techs on here. this helps me. i only wish i could help them.

5. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I have the benefit (detriment maybe?) of knowing a little about a lot of mac products and usage.

I don't specialize in one thing.

-Pete

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I know enough to support 250+ Mac users at work as well as my home network (see signature below.. the list just keeps growing and growing and growing). I also support about 30 peecee's at work.

I am the lead tech at the site I work at (near where I live). The other tech comes to me many times for answers to questions that I consider to be common knowledge, at least for me it is.

I've been using Mac's since 1988 (was on peecee's before I knew better). I went out and picked up OS 9 the very first day it was available, the same for the public beta of OS X. Once OS X hit official release, I reconfigured my systems to take advantage of it. I am now up to the latest (10.1.3) and love it. I don't know too much UNIX code yet, but with the way OS X has been built, you can get away (easily) without it. I know some people love that part, which makes OS X all the better.

To answer the question of the original post, I consider myself to be an expert in both hardware and software when it comes to the Mac. I am the recognized PowerBook guru for both of our Mass locations. I also know the desktops quite well. The tech's in Boston often call me for ideas to help fix the Mac's over there.

All in all, I know enough to make my job fun :D.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm a more recent convert to the Mac side of things.
    I started out building my own PCs a few years ago, which gives me a solid background in hardware. While the platforms are different, they do share many common components. About three years ago I started working in multimedia with Director on a beige G3 system. It was then that I started to appreciate the Mac OS and hardware. I'm now the head technician for a langauge lab at San Diego State University. I oversee about 100 machines (not as much as AlphaTech ;) ), split half and half between Macs and PCs. I learned a great deal about OS 9, but I consider myself to be more conversant with X. I've been using it as my default OS since its initial release, and I love getting under the hood with the Terminal.
    I use Macs for design, mostly web, so I'm familiar with that, and I also run our OS X Server, so I'm familiar with a lot of the networking aspects too.

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I pretty smart when It comes to OS 9
    but OS X is a whole new ballpark and could take some getting used to for those who are making the jump
    so I'd say I'm a SEMI-PRO

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

i dont know... i guess im the same as most people here, i know all about 9 and under, but not so much about X (unix).

also,im more of a "quiet machead". When people ask me questions, I can answer them, and I might even fix it for them... but im not like AmbitiousLemon where I go helping people with their macs my job!

irmongoose

10. rEd Eye macrumors regular

"what kind of machead would you consider yourself to be? "

A poorer one:D

Mac OS9 nine definately has gotten as easy to figure out as lego blocks by now.OS X........As long as I don't stray past the pretty interface:???:
    programming......?eeech!

11. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Personally with OS9 I'm there. I can get around anything and have it do whatever I want. Unfortunately I havent been able to take the plunge yet. I'm still using my 6500 which cannot support OSX. I'm waiting for MWNY to get a new computer since I think DDR and a faster bus will be out. So much for G5 but at least I wont be getting a 1st rev. So as soon as I possibly can I will be going to OSX, I just hope the shipping time for whatever is released isnt too long cause I've been holding out for some time with my crappy student budget.

Going in debt for apple, sometime in 2002.

12. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

OSX

I would say Im a pretty ardent member of the Apple coommunity. I have a TiBook and a G4 tower. The tower still runs OS9 (been too lazy to switch it over--it needs a cleaning/overhaul first) but the Laptop runs OSX like a beauty. I use Cinema4D for my 3D animation major, and OSX is fun, clean, stable, and durable. I dont know **** about unix programming, nor do I care. All I know is that OSX WORKS. I have to admit though, its no fun if you dont have applications to use it with! But now that Photoshop is out, I would guess that people will move more quickly to X.

I was afraid at first, but now that Ive switched--Im telling you---OS9 looks clunky, dated, and boring.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

9 may look a bit boring......but in a constant workflow environment....it's still a winner.....easy to troubleshoot & fix things....

X still has a long way to go before it will fit in that category.....

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I have consistantly outperformed Apple IS&T's tech support.

My mother is a "suit" at Apple. she recently switched to a G4 as a telecommute machine. I was consistantly able to predict problems about 2 analyses (analisees??? how the hell .......never mind) ahead of her in-house tech.

I can do this in OS 9 or X. I am NOT a Unix geek but am adapting quickly.

15. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Unix and Classic.

I've been a Mac user for a very, very long time and have setup and run many macs over the years. I still remember writing programs for the Apple II and IIGS and getting my first Mac. That has given me a lot of Classic Mac OS experience (as well as hardware experience).

I also went to school for CS and learned almost exclusively on Sun Solaris machines (some Linux at school). I also ran Linux along side Mac OS for many years (three) and did a lot of the Linux geek stuff (built my own kernels, tried porting and compiling some Lintel software for LinuxPPC, etc). So I have had a ton of experience setting up, running, maintaining and programming for Unix systems as well.

That is what makes OS X so appealing to me: the best of both worlds!! Now all of my programs written for Unix over the years will compile under OS X and I can configure my system as a Unix junky would. Plus I get all of the benifits of a Mac OS system.

I'm loving it!!

Matthew