Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys,

i've been using apple laptops for a while, but I'm new to the powermac scene. I got an old G4 powermac for free, and i'm in the market for a new PC. There's no way i'm going to pay for a G5 now when Apple is leaving the PPC architecture in the dust. However... I'm thinking that for 500 bucks or so, i'll buy a CPU upgrade for this old powermac, install os x, and live w/ it for a year or so until I can get an intel powermac...

All the Mac CPU upgrade sites have names for powermacs like "quicksilver" and "mirror drive door." What is the name for mine so I can get a CPU upgrade?

It is a blueish shade, but darker than the blue of the Powermac g3s. It has handles. I opened it up and it has a DVD drive, a motherboard w/ a passively cooled CPU, an AGP slot, 4 dimms, and some expansion slots. There is a 20gb Western Digital harddrive in there as well.

Under system profiler, it says I have a 450 mhz CPU.

Thanks ahead of time!!

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Definetley a sawtooth, but be weary of new graphics cards you get the AGP slot is only 2X so alot of cards wont work.You need to buy 2X AGP compatible cads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.