What kind of scam is this?

Discussion in 'Community' started by raynegus, Oct 30, 2004.

1. raynegus macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
    I'm selling my iPod on Ebay and the auction closes this Tuesday. Well, I get this question e-mailed to me:

"GOOD DAY,i am interested in the immediate purchase of this 1of this item item and will be making payment right away,i shall also be payingC$1000.00 with the shipment to nigeria.and i paying through WESTERN BIDPAY. i will like to ask if you would beable to ship assoon as payment is confirmed ,this is due to the fact that its demand is high in my storeand so i willwant to complete the transaction in a very timely manner.ifyou can do this,email me with your name, con t act address and your phonenumber so that i can proceed with payment right away.and you will be shipping the item through post office or fedex $dhl$ usps to nigeria. so get back to me if you can do that."

That is the exact quote. I never offered buy-it-now in the auction so I don't know why he thinks he can buy it now. Do you think he wants me to send the iPod and then plans to send a bogus bidpay?
  2. raynegus thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
    One more thing to add, I did a search for his user name on ebay and his account was just opened TODAY (so he obviously has no feedback).
  3. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
  4. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
  5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The chance that this is legitimate is a very round number, namely zero.
  6. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2004
    Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!

Darn Right someone from Nigeria said they were paying me via Westurn Union... And They wanted me to ship after I get the e-mail form them well that was a FAKE e-mail and I never got it... I know that he really did not want my iBook :D ... Well thats life...
  7. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Take my advice, keep going with a safe client.

BTW, I am from Venezuela and I assume that... if Nigeria has the same economy there is no way they can pay that amount of money, people can not afford it just like that. In Venezuela an iPod is such strange device, you just wont see one in a year and only te wealthy can buy them in certify Apple stores. That is the same secenario with the rest of the countries like "Nigeria".
  8. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    Here is a funny website that deals with nigerian scams
  9. raynegus thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
    Thanks for the link. Hilarious read.
  10. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    A bit off-topic, but this is kinda funny - I've been reading about nigerian scams for a while, and yesterday I actually got an email with one. The freaky thing is that they address it to my name, and the name they used for the guy that "passed away and they're looking for the next of kin" shares my last name as well.:eek:

Here's the first few paragraphs:

I will like to solicit your help in a business proposition, which is by
    nature very confidential and a Top Secret. I know that a transaction of
    this magnitude will make any one worried and apprehensive but I am assuring
    you not to worry, as all will be well at the end of this endeavor.

I am Mr. Abdul Salami,Client Service Manager of African Development Bank
    Group. My partners and I have decided to seek your help in transfer of
    some amount of money requiring maximum confidence from my bank.

A foreigner, Late Dr. XXXXXX who was an oil merchant and contractor
    with the Federal Government of Nigeria until his death onboard the ill
    fated Kenyan Airways bus {A310300} was our customer at the AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT
    BANK and had a balance of US$32.2million
    which the bank now expects his next of kin to claim as the beneficiary."

And they sign:

Abdul Salami

NB.You can also check this website for news story about the crash two years ago: http://www.usafricaonline.com/aircrashkenya.
    From the desk of Abdul Salami
    General Manager African Development Bank Nigeria