What kind of speakers do you use?...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slick316, Oct 31, 2005.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I am looking for some speakers, 2.0 would be perfect, but it seems hard to find. Just looking for some suggestions.

I was thinking about the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 or a similar offering from Bose (both are 2.0 setups).

2. jeffzoom macrumors member

May I ask why 2.0 seems so conveinent? What is keeping you from 2.1? 2.1 shouldn't be a problem from someone living in an apartment, in fact, I knew some one that ran a 600w stereo 18hrs a day full blast, only turning it off for the 6 she was at school. Or you don't listen to music much, I can't stand 2.0, the speakers you described are nice, I would blow them too quickly.

3. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not that its more conveinent, I just don't care for sub bass all that much, even my home stereo system is a 2.0 setup and its just fine. I wouldn't mind buying a 2.1 system, but I want good sound for my money, $100 that is.

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

5. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like Klipsch home audio stuff, and they have always made good computer speakers. I was just wondering how there 2.0 system was, looks good though. I wonder if anyone has anything to say about the Bose.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have the Creature II speakers, i find them to be wonderful

7. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

M-Audio BX5a's. If you can afford it go with the KLK Rock-it 8's.

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I use harmon/kardon soundsticks w/sub (2.1 system). Freaking awesome sound from these babies!!!!!!

9. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard about M-Audio speakers, I wonder if there is a place locally that I can audition them from, I guess I'll have to research that.

What are KLK?

10. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I have a set of speakers that I bought from Radio Shack for 10 bucks, but I'm thinking you probably don't want those....

My brother has the Creature 2 speakers, and they're amazing. His very loud video games sometimes make me feel like I'm in the midst of a war, which kind of scares me, but overall they're really great.

11. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I still use an old set of Altec Lansing speakers. For a simple and older setup, it still produces fairly good sound. No idea where you'd find them nowadays, though, but you probably want something a bit newer. ;)

12. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I use the same speakers and I just love them. They look cool and sound good. (I'm not an audiophile by anymeans)

13. dmachine macrumors member

dmachine

I have the Klipsch THX 2.1 speakers and they are awesome. They produce great sound and the bass is awesome even though you dont want the bass. I unfortunately did something to the right speaker this past year at college and it some times goes out but other than that they are awesome speakers.

14. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I do too. I have the Soundsticks I. They sound awesome.

15. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Altec Lansing 2100's. i've had 'em for like 3 years or something like that and they still sound great.

16. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I use the Altec Lansing 2100 2.1 speaker setup. This is perfectly fine for me. I am no audiophile, but these sound great.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

18. RHMMMM macrumors member

19. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hate you :)

Well, I found an M-Audio dealer locally, so I will see if they have any monitors I can listen to.
    I will also check out Bestbuy and CompUSA, hopefully they have some working floor model speakers I can listen to (they are usually broken from what I have seen).
    Seems as though Klipsch, Altec Lansing, and Harmon Kardon are liked here, what about Logitech?

20. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I have the Bose companion 2 little speakers with subwoofer. HUGE sound for such tiny little speakers.

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my brother has a set of the 5.1 i forget the number and they sound awesome, i don't know about the 2.1/2.0 though...

22. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I have the JBL Creatures 2... amazing. :) Get the white, the grey and black, look weird.

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

M-Audio are fine, perhaps the poster meant KRK -- pronounced K-Rock? They are some well respected small studio monitors. I use ESI nEar05's (which are also powered studio monitors, optional powered sub) and they are awesome even without the sub. Not under the budget however.

24. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked out some speakers today, ended up buying the Klipsch that I had originally checked out. I am going to try them out with the music I normally listen to, but I think they will be fine, so I doubt I will have to return them.
    I really like the way they sound, and they have pretty decent midbass. No regrets so far.
    They look nice sitting next to my Dell 2005FPW monitor :)

25. zach macrumors 65816

zach

i use a cobbled together system built out of cabinet speakers i got at a garage sale for 45 bucks. it sounds pretty nice if i do say so myself ;)

seriously though get 2.1 over 2.0, you can always shut off the woofer if it really bothers you and it doesn't cost that much more... and it sounds SO much better.