What kind of SSD in macbook pro 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hackintosh Sr., Feb 24, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Are they the same as the 2010? Anyone know exactly what kind of SSD are in these? Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

Come on guys...:)
    Who has purchased a 2011 Macbook Pro with a SSD drive?

3. macrumors member

Don't buy an Apple SSD. They're rubbish for what they are....and expensive!!

Get a third party one, like Crucial C300 or OCZ Vertex 2E

4. macrumors newbie

Just wait for a couple of months, by then the vertex 3 will be out and you will get the speed of SATA3 ;).

Apple's SSD's are cheap but a 3rd party SSD that costs more is also better.

5. macrumors 6502

How do you know that the SSD drives in the 2011 Macbook Pros are "rubbish" ?

6. macrumors member

Well I don't know for sure, but they're more than likely to be the same as before.

7. macrumors member

@ DanFreeman;
    On the high-end 15 inch model the upgrade to the 128gb SSD comes at 90 dollars. If you don't need the superdrive (and are willing to get an optibay ~if you require more space in the first place), and don't need another HDD (because you already got those lying around plenty), I'd see no reason to not get that SSD from Apple. Also saves the hassle from installing an SSD yourself. :)

@OP;
    Sorry, don't know the answer to your question..

8. macrumors member

I do have the optibay, and I can tell you that installing that AND the SSD was easier than walking.

I don't see why you would pay a lot more money for Apples SSD, when you can get MUCH better ones for the same.

9. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

In previous generation the SSDs were made by Toshiba. Not bad SSDs but not the best ones. Newer MBAs use Samsung drives which are very fast so it's possible that Apple opted for Samsung instead.

Has it been confirmed that MBPs really use the SATA 6Gb/s ports?

10. macrumors 601

sammich

I saw a thread earlier, I'll try to dig it up.

But when the SF-2500 drives hit, I'll be grabbing an Optibay.

11. macrumors 65816

I suppose-without knowing it for sure-that maybe apple's ssd(other manufactures-who knows) have a specific firmware. If this happens, maybe they are better in the long-term, besides being expensive and with lower specs than the competition.
    Am I wrong? Who knows?

12. macrumors member

Intel should be releasing G3 SSD in march. May be they will see 600GB SSD for $800.

13. macrumors 6502

Someone on a german forum just posted that he asked an Apple employee about what kind of SSD drive is being used in the 2011 Macbook Pros.
    >>>
    Kingston

14. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Kingston does not make their own controllers so it could be the same Toshiba drive as in previous gen with just Kingston logo on it.

15. macrumors 6502

Given that Apple's 128gb SSD is less than half the price of other SSDs on the market, I'm going to have to disagree. I was intending on purchasing my MBP yesterday, and ordering an OWC 120gb SSD and optibay to install myself. When I saw the price was only $90 to get an SSD from Apple, I jumped on it. I figure this will save me about $150, and I'll wait until the new SSDs come out and grab a 256gb & optibay within the next year or so.

16. macrumors 68020

peskaa

Don't forget that $90 is the upgrade cost. Add on the cost of the stock drive to the $90 to get the true cost of the SSD.

17. macrumors 6502

I understand that, but having several TB in USB/laptop drives laying around makes it an easy choice for me. Plus, like I said, I can wait a couple months and get a next-gen SSD and run dual SSDs.

edit: And even if you add in the cost of the base drive, you're still roughly half the price of a comparable aftermarket drive & optibay.

18. macrumors 68000

sparkie7

So what's everyone ordering, the minimum HD and RAM config?

And then ripping out the crap HD and installing a quick OCZ SSD and maxing out the memory with 3rd party RAM?

Question: so what are you going to do with the spare HD and RAM?

-- get an external enclosure and make a portable drive? - smoke the RAM?

19. macrumors 68020

peskaa

When I had an MBP I stuck the stock drive in a PS3, it's still there.

20. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

External enclosure is probably the best option, that way you can use it for backups or just as storage. I would keep the RAM for troubleshooting and in case you ever have to send it to Apple, replace the parts with the original parts.

21. macrumors regular

I was all set to order with the default hard drive and immediately swap out for a OCZ Vertex 2 - however, then I read that the Vertex has become a POS since they quietly updated their products mid-cycle to 25nm. 520% speed loss. It would have been stupid to buy one now. And the only comparable drive are the OWC drives, which cost more than I'm willing to pay.

So for $90 I got the Apple drive. It may not be the fastest, but I'm unlikely to notice the difference, and I'll happily live with it for a year until the technology comes down in price and becomes more reliable.

22. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Amazon: 500gb 5400RM 2.5" HD

Amazon: 128GB 2.5" SSD

At about $60 for a drive, I think the $150 total is still a steal compared to the cheapest 128GB SSD at about $210.

23. macrumors regular

24. macrumors regular

Hopefully someone who bought one with a stock 128GB SSD will chime in soon.......

25. macrumors regular

I have a feeling that all SSD's come BTO so no one will have there hands on one till next week