what kinda of ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iwantibook, Jan 23, 2004.

1. iwantibook macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2004
    im a student in high-school and need a laptop cuz my handwriting stinks....
    my parents just bought me a really nice windows laptop, but it is very expensive and not my sturdy.... so i decided that i would save up to buy a used ibook off ebay....

i was wondering whether the to get a 466mhz clamshell or a 500mhz dual usb.....

i need firewire cuz i wnat to sync my ipod with it

i also dont want to spend much more than 450....

so whats better dual usb or clamshell

2. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2003
    DC Metropolitan Area
    Not likely to happen. A quick check of eBay will show you that neither of those models, when functioning, go for less than $500. Be cheaper to just learn how to write neatly.
  3. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    whats wrong with the laptop? so its a little expensive but not sturdy?

i doubt ull find it on ebay for that price...

learn to write in print or be careful with ur new laptop :D
  4. Engagebot macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2003
    LSU - Baton Rouge
    yeah, macs keep their resale value for a while, even if theyre old enough to not even be useful...
  5. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    I know it probably isnt an option, but if you could manage to stretch your buget a bit, you could snag a reburbished iBook or eMac from Apple.com's "special deals" page.

Any possibility of selling the Windows laptop? If its a nice model, that could get you a new iBook or maybe even a Powerbook!

(If you can manage to buy from Apple, be sure to give the Education discount a try! Its generally meant for college students, but they are pretty lax about checking it out. (its gonna be used for learning anyway!))
  6. iwantibook thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2004
    thanks for the feedback...
    i might be able to strech my budget to 500-550 which is what they sell at but i still would like to kno whether clamshell or dual usb would be better

the problem with my laptop now is that a few trips to and from school and it would be toast.... it really wasnt meant to be a school laptop

also my school is an os 9.2 native with all of its network hard drives and such will OSX be compatible

7. chv400 macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2003
    Houston, TX
    The LCD screens on the clamshell iBooks have a max resoulution of 800x600 and personally i would want more than that. So if you're other choice has a higher reolution LCD i'd go with that.