What laptop EXACTLY do you need for CS3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gkarris, Mar 16, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Need a bit of advice.

At church, we are buying a "design" laptop. We will be running CS3 on it.

We are on a budget of course and will be buying refurbished, so what's better?

A 1.83 Core Duo MacBook Pro with discreet graphics

or

A 2.0 Core 2 Duo MacBook with integrated gaphics

We will be upgrading RAM to 2 Gig, 13" or 15" screen is fine as for deskwork we will be using an external monitor.

Thanks for the advice!!!

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

The MacBook will perform better. Graphics card doesn't really matter for PS since it is not GPU-accelerated.

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

The dedicated graphics card is almost only needed for 3D rendering (3D Studio Max, Maya, Cinema 4D,...) and games.

The Adobe CS suite will not benefit much from it. So if screen size is not important I'd go with the macbook. Otherwise the mbp is the better solution because doing design work on that 13" screen will be a pain sooner or later.

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I currently run CS2 on my 1.25Ghz PowerBook and have tried the CS3 beta. I fully expect it to run on my machine. Personally, I'd go with the MB because of the faster processor. Definitely get that 2GB RAM!

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd definitely go for the MacBook. The MacBook Pro will outperform the MacBook, despite what some may think (I've actually done a rendering comparison between the C2D MacBook & my CD MBP, my MBP was about 15% faster.

HOWEVER, my MacBook Pro is pretty pants. Runs at unbelievable heat, has already had to go in for service once and will need to go in again soon. Really, get the MacBook. You'll prefer it hugely.

The C2D MacBook Pros seem fine, it's just the 1.83 GHz CoreDuos which seem pants.

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I would go with either the MacBook or MacBook Pro. Personally prefer the MacBook as I can upgrade more often and pay for it outright. I have used the CS3 beta on my MacBook and it ran great, currently I am using CS2 on it and it is fine. My vote goes to the MacBook with a minimum of 1GB RAM.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

If you had a choice between a C2D MBP and a C2D MB, then it would be the MBP all the way. Bigger/better screen, higher RAM & HDD bandwidth and generally better design & build.

Avoid a CoreDuo machine like mine with your life though, really pretty poor machines if mine is anything to go by...

8. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks for all your advice!

We will be getting the computer with the fastest processor for our budget.

9. JAT macrumors 603

I'm confused. Why a laptop? Sounds like it is going to sit and stay somewhere. Like an iMac, which would give same or better specs for less cash.

10. iBunny macrumors 65816

I would get the MacBook as well. They are seriously awesome machines.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

That's like asking what riding mower do I need to drive to work. You don't want a laptop, you want a 20" iMac. If you do need portability for some reason you're really going to pay for it and should get an MBP + 20" external display and keyboard.