what laptop to buy!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by budaapple, Mar 5, 2006.

1. budaapple macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2004
    I cannot decide whether to buy the new macbook pro or wait and see if they update the ibook line with an Intel processor. I use my computer to edit photos on the fly and basic internet and office functions. I thought Apple said they were going to release a "universal" version of Aperture that would run on all current models has antone heard if that will be the case. I love the new Macbook pro but for what I would spend there I could get a ibook and iMac together if I buy the Imac refurb. Perplexing as always toys toys toys we gotta have em. Your thoughts!
  2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I think the consensus is that iBook/the new MacBook will be born kicking and screaming at some point in the not too distant future. Unless you definitely needed a MacBook Pro I'd suggest waiting... I know it's hard, I've been waiting for the mini for what feels like ever!
  3. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    If you don't need all the power that the MacBook offers then definitely go with your second option. It makes sense to have both a desktop and an iBook. The desktop is what's next on my list.
  4. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    If you're really planning on using Aperture, the MacBook Pro would be your best bet. Of course though, if you want to know for sure, you need to wait until the Universal of Aperture is released later this month to see what the system requirements are. Unfortunately they haven't updated the site to say whether a Core Solo will push it enough.

If you don't need to run a program like Aperture, though. Definitely go for the iBook and refurb iMac deal. It's always great to have a portable and a desktop.
  5. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    I love having a laptop and a desktop. I have FTP on for both through Sharing, and I can FTP files back and forth for my sites and such. IMO, it's better than having just a laptop. I love having the dual G5's to render on, but then I could go downstairs and work in the living room or at a friend's house.