What Leopard app is this?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lu0s3r322, Apr 1, 2007.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

The 5th icon from the left. Which app is this? This screenshot is probably real. I found it on a guy's flickr page that has a bunch of screens that definitely seem legit.

[​IMG]

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

3. Yurtra macrumors member

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Since Leopard.

5. lu0s3r322 thread starter macrumors 6502a

is it going to be enhanced in any sort of way?

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Since it has been called Spaces. :D

7. Nutter macrumors 6502

Spaces is the third icon from the left.

That is not exposé, AFAIK.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's amazing how fast these responses come sometimes.

what i'm wondering is why exposé would need it's own button. does the button arrange all windows or application windows? is it customizable? i'm guessing so, but it's hard to imagine a single button for exposé when a lot of people, me included, use the many exposé functions. not only that, i've got function keys, hot corners and mouse buttons all devoted to exposé, dashboard and spaces (when leopard ships). is all the redundancy really necessary?

9. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I guess the idea is to give people more options, so they can work exactly in the way that feels natural to them. i do think, however, that it is all getting a little messy for apple, with so many different strategies for one thing.

10. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

There are many OS X users who don't know about Expose. Really. They never read the documentation and they don't know what F9, F10 and F11 keys are for, esp. that those keys aren't labelled in any other way. I imagine such additional icon in the Dock might tempt them to click it and activate Expose.

11. matttrick macrumors 6502

this is really true. i never read much about expose or saw it highlighted that i remember, just kind of stumbled onto it myself.

12. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

It gets at switchers. The function keys are not used often in Windows, they are not well known for them.

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Maybe it's just a 'placeholder' icon for the dev version of Leopard?

14. richyfp macrumors member

I always assumed that the icons in Leopard for Exposé, Spaces and Spotlight were just placeholders in the dev builds... Could anyone with a Leopard seed find out/confirm whether these are separate bundles in the Applications folder (for example) or whether, like Dashboard, they're just new "features" of the Dock...

15. projectle macrumors 6502

Separate applications...

The main purpose is for tasks like Automator so you can control them with a script without needing to dig around in your system folder and risk messing something up horribly.

16. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

function keys and their functions

Since not many people, certainly switchers may know about the 'hidden' features like Expose etc. , I wonder why Apple hasn't made them part of the standard pull down menu in the Finder.
    I mean, you can copy, cut , paste, etc all straight from there, with the keyboard short cut next to it, adding Expose there would just make sense to me (including the keyboard short cut, which happens to be F11).
    Same with the app switching "command -tab" , or even the slowmotion trick of expose...

If this means the finder get's too cluttered, then perhaps there should be a control panel, that gives you the option between switching on the "Extended Finder", and the "Standard Finder"......

17. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I have a question. Is it really an application after all? Or is it some kind of function of the OS? Technically, is it a mac version of a .exe file? How does OS X implement it exactly?

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My guess is that it's not a real application, but instead a "stub application" that calls some system library to do the real work. This is why iexplore.exe (Internet Explorer for Windows) is so small - it's a stub. By the way, the Dashboard app in the Dock in Tiger functions exactly the same way.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

could be.....:apple: