What mac for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paulman, Nov 6, 2004.

1. paulman macrumors member

I have decided to ditch the PC and get a mac. But which one?

- I will be using a word processor (maybe office eventually) and stuff like that
    - Storing photos from when I went travelling
    - Maybe moving around a lot next year
    - I don't wanna play games except basic arcade stuff and maybe europa universalis II
    - I def won't be using photoshop
    - I might use imovie occasionally
    - I don't need a superdrive
    - Price is an issue
    - I have an ipod and will use itunes and garageband

Hopefully someone can help. By the way I downloaded firefox which is well cool. Thanks to whoever recommended it!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....when you say price is an issue can you be more specific? Please give us a ballpark $$ amount you are looking to spend and we will help you spend it...heheh....oh yeah!

3. paulman thread starter macrumors member

Price up to high imac level. This is better than saying an exact price in pounds since some of you are not from the UK

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You say that you'll maybe be moving about next year, so do you need to be portable, or is a desktop OK? This is a huge factor in deciding what would best fit your needs.

5. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Yes choosing whether or not you want a desktop or portable is a huge factor after I bought my desktop PC I first regretting not getting a mac, and not getting a laptop. The ability to take your computer with you is always a cool factor, but also having alot of power, or saving extra money is too.

6. paulman thread starter macrumors member

It would be very useful to be able to take it with me. I was thinking of doing a wireless network at home with the old PC as the base.

By the way, what can I use airport express for?

7. dotnina macrumors 6502a

So since you want a laptop, that narrows things down to iBook and Powerbook.

Since you want a "portable" laptop, that narrows things down to the 12" or 14" iBook, or the 12" and 15" Powerbook. :p

For the things you described, I think an iBook would suit you fine. There are certainly Macs faster than the iBook, but that doesn't mean the iBook is slow. I think it might be a good mix of power / cost, since you mentioned cost as a concern.

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Airport Express gives you a wireless internet connection, wireless printing and the ability to have your iTunes music play on speakers in a different room (or the same room ... wherever you put it). Basically, you plug in the ethernet cable, printer cable and speaker cable into the Airport Express, and you're set.

9. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

I say go 15" powerbook, it has power if you need it so it's always there, and it will do all the things you want... but.. I mean the 12" works fine too... I say go powerbook if you can.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I would agree - an iBook will probably be perfect for you and give you some leftover money to buy the other things you will want/need like extra RAM and some of the software you want....oh yeah!

11. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

That works too.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would recommend a 15" PowerBook. It would give you all that you need and be portable. You can add an AirPort Card.

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I love my 15" PB, but an iBook will probably suit your needs just fine. I don't know anyone who ever complained that they got an iBook instead of a PowerBook, but I know a few people who wish they'd gone the other way to either save some cash or use the extra on accessories. Do you have a reseller nearby so you can compare them?

14. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oh yea... definately go to a store with Apple products and see them in person, it will help your decision VERY much.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Looks like a toss up between iBook and Powerbook.
    Go to the store and use them both to compare the look and feel.
    If the iBook is acceptable, go that route and use the saved money for extra RAM

16. mypantsaretight macrumors newbie

If your needs are acurately stated, then a PB is overkill. Get an iBook and you'll be very happy. Use the hundreds of dollars you save to add more RAM or take a vacation.

iBook + trip to Cancun

vs.

15" PB

Easy choice. :)

17. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I think the 14" iBook would be the best thing for you, it costs $1,299 i dont know how much thats is in pounds but its fairly cheap. If i were in your shoes i would go with teh super drive, you have no idea when you would want to make a DVD album or a small movie. If you are sure 100% you would not be doing that then get the combo and save $200