What Mac OS 9 functionality is still missing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wrldwzrd89, Feb 20, 2005.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Is there a list anywhere that shows features in Mac OS 9 that still do not have an equivalent in Mac OS X? Better yet, does it show what Mac OS X version these features were introduced or replaced with something better?

For example:

Mac OS 9 feature: Labels
    Mac OS X equivalent: Labels
    Introduced with: Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther"

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I've never seen a list like that... the only thing I can think of that's still missing (although I don't miss it) is Windowshade.

Oh, one more thing: you could have Mac OS 9 make those goofy sounds when you closed windows/moved windows/opened folders/etc. I don't miss that feature either. :p

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apparently we're getting this in Tiger...

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I cannot think of one single thing. Ever since I 'switched' from OS 9 to OS X I've actually been quite happy, and never looked back... it was okey when Labels were re-introduced, but I never really missed them, and while setting up Printers was a pain in 10.1, compared to the "Chooser" this was also fixed in 10.2/3... I don't even miss the relative speed of the OS 9 Finder which is/was way more 'snappy' then OS X Finder...

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

eh, I miss the old apple menu a little. That was the biggest thing I missed when I upgraded to 10.1, after a decade and a half of using the classic OS, that apple menu really grows on you. Like when I want a calculator, sometimes my first impulse is still to go to the apple menu.

6. applekid macrumors 68020

Classic could use a fixer upper. That's my only disappointment with OS X in general. If it was a more powerful emulator...

Maybe so you could set your processor speed to emulate so you can play those really old classics instead of downloading a 3rd party emulator. That's just one of many things I'd like to see in Classic.

Appearance themes need to make a return. Instead of using 3rd party utilities, I want Apple to allow me use themes I make and download.

I'm glad there's going to be sound in Tiger. It seemed so eerily quiet and boring without it in the current versions of OS X!

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I read somewhere that in Mac OS 9 you can connect over the network to a firewire HD; in Panther you can't do that without jumpting through a lot of hoops.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I miss the Platinum sounds, it gave a "texture" to what you were doing, and Xsounds doesn't do them justice.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

So basically you don't miss OS 9 functionality, but really OS 8 or even OS 7 functionality...? ;)

Well, to this I agree, I would like to be able to play my favorite nostalgic games, and classic (until I broke it) wasn't very good at this. Civilization doesn't at all work well with 9.2 and even Master of Orion was best back in the 8.6-days...

10. phonemonkey macrumors regular

I think classic desperately needs an app like Network Utility in X.

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I missed how when an app crashed, it brought down the entire system with the lovely black bomb icon and some cryptic error message. It was so elegant just to reboot and get that lovely chime. It was a ritual that has a special place in my heart.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'd like them to bring back the 'restore to original place' function for a file that ended up in the trash. Apple-Y...

13. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Being in Commercial Printing and sending files and documents on CDs ZIPs and whatever, I miss being able to "Print Window" from the Finders File menu. It was so easy to open a folder and just print the list of its contents. (also being able to print an iTunes list that way would be nice.) ;)

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hopefully, Apple will add that back someday. In the mean time, you might want to check out this: PrintWindow

15. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Yeah, that's true. I miss the old apple menu too. I miss the way you could change its contents at your convenience, all quick and easy. In OS X there is the dock, but in the dock you cannot put so many stuff, and also you cannot organise them into folders...

16. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

mac os 9...

is missing the ability to be a useful operating system. try adding something like virtual memory management, stable operation, etc. better yet just forget os 9 altogether.

17. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would love to see the return of Finder's Print Window feature also. I didn't use it much, but I could see how it could come in handy for certain things.

18. ahamilt2 macrumors member

Control strip, window shading, and hidden folders (when you drag the folder to the edge of the screen and it turns into a tab). Also, I can think of 50 different ways that the dock could be even more useful. And a favorites in the Apple menu would be nice to, even if that is what the dock is for, it's nice to have options/ customizability.

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Perhaps Apple expects you to take a screen shot of the finder window in question and drag the resulting PDF to your printer for printout.

20. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What do you like so much about the Control Strip? I didn't like the way it was implemented in Mac OS 9, since it tended to get in the way when I started a full-screen game. Actually, the same complaint can be leveled against the Dock when running a full-screen Classic application.

I think window shading should be implemented as a double-click on the window title bar option so Apple doesn't have to add an extra button.

The "hidden folders" feature you speak of would probably best be implemented inside the Dock, IMO.

The favorites option is still around. It's just hiding in your user Library folder, and Apple doesn't really use it anymore because of the sidebar in Finder windows.

I can't think of any Dock-related features applicable to Mac OS 9 though.

21. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That doesn't work so well for windows that have more content than can fit on screen. The only workaround is to take multiple screenshots. I suppose that Grab could be updated to offer a "complete window shot" that grabs the entire window, including content scrolled off-screen, to solve that issue.

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Printing window contents can be done (with only a little bit of hassle) from Terminal either with an lpr command or as descirbed in this recent thread...

...and from iTunes you can only print it like from every other application: Cmd-P or File -> Print... You can choose between different lists and jewel cases...

23. gopher macrumors 65816

24. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yes that is a good function.

Can anyone tell me why the finder in OS 9 is faster than OS X :confused:

25. niar macrumors newbie

things I miss

1. ATM Deluxe
    2. opening/seeing/changing font suitcases
    3. Sherlock 2
    4. QXpress actually working, not sucking
    5. Calculator opening fast, taking less memory.
    6. command + tab working, not giving some random applications
    7. fast UI (like typing, menus and swithing apps)