What mac should i get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by themasonlb1, Sep 19, 2006.

1. themasonlb1 macrumors newbie

i want to be able to run slightly high powerful games and enough power for all the apps and the best for the buck. What should i go with and how much ram and harddrive space

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

How about a budget? Running Windows? Any other uses? Do you want to be able to upgrade easily?

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I would go with the 20 inch iMac. Upgrade the RAM yourself later for the best bang for the buck.

4. themasonlb1 thread starter macrumors newbie

i want to be able to run windows and surf without any lag. Im looking for under 12-1300 if i can. And i want pretty easy ram installation
    Also, can i hook in an external display?
    thanks

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

17" iMac

Go with the 20" iMac if you can spring for the extra cash.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would have to agree with skubish- go for the 17" iMac (or the 20" iMac if you can save up a little extra cash). :)

7. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I also agree that a 17" iMac would be fine for you.

If you are a serious gamer, then I would definitely consider upgrading the graphics card and upgrading to 2GB Ram which will put you over your budget.

If you are on a budget and want to hook up your display, then you may also want to check out a nicely upgraded Mac Mini. You will not get as fast or good of a processor (2.0 Core 2 Duo on iMac vs. 1.83 Core Duo on Mini) but it should suit your needs within your budget.

On the Apple store page is a "Talk to Us" button to open up a chat window with a rep. You can call them too. THey are really helpful and don't push upgrades. I had three of them tell me I didn't need the faster processor or graphics card on an iMac.

However, the lower power you have now, the sooner you will be throwing the thing away to get a new one.