Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hi. My mom was mad today because she was using the G4 400 in our "study" and it was having problems. In her office she uses a G3 233MHz Imac. She told me she wants to buy a new computer NOW. She doesnt want to spend more than 1500 dollars (cheaper is better). Here is what she needs:

Speed
Word Processing, EMail, Internet, etc.
BIG Screen (NOT A WIDESCREEN)
A program like FaxSTF for OS X. Do they have that still? She wants to fax from her Mac.

I am thinking a used 867QS Tower off of eBay or something. Then we could buy an 18.1" LCD for like 450 dollars.

She looked at the 17" iMac, but she doesnt like the wide format. She likes stuff to get bigger, not stretchier.

Any help would be great! I will be writing to B2TM also....

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
well if she just wants to spend $1500 get her the "ultimate" emac.
but yeah, widescreens do not stretch anything my friend it just gives you more screen to view.....

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
No eMac! iMac all the way. Do you want your mom pumped full of radiation from the CRT? LCD is the only way to go. The widescreen does not stretch the desktop, but gives you more space. It is really nice on the widescreens to be able to have two full pages side-by-side.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
FaxSTF X is up to a Pro version since a few weeks ago.

I would say that either the 15 inch iMac or eMac would be good for that price point.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Update

Ok, we are pricing a PC. Yep...not for her, but for me and my dad. Here is the situation.

My dad has a G3 500MHz Pismo Powerbook that he does all his work on. He uses HIS G4 500MHz Tower w/18.1" LCD for gaming. We all know gaming on this mac sucks. So...

We have decided to give my mom the G4 500 with the monitor, and buy ourselves a nice gaming PC. I have priced one out... (pic seen)

So, is that a good PC to build? Here is a link to the case...HERE

And we will buy a new LCD, most likely an 18.1" one. I will still be using my mac in my room, but for gaming/movies/music "sharing", I will use the PC. What do you guys think...

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Another update...

Well, I think the PC we priced is a good deal, and the shipping is free 2 day. But, there is still tax. Does anyone know a good PC site without sales tax to CA?

Also, do you guys think I should go P4 or AMD. AMD has more AGP 8x Motherboards, cheaper, more selection of motherboards, etc.

But I have been hearing pentium is slightly faster. What do you think. If I built a similar P4, it would probly be about 100-120 dollars more. I would use a P4 2.66GHz w/533 FSB

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
MacAztec, check out my store. I have (at the moment) two BTO pc's listed. You can customize them within reason.

Since you are in CA, there wouldn't be any sales tax involved.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Update

Originally posted by MacAztec
Ok, we are pricing a PC. Yep...not for her, but for me and my dad. Here is the situation.

My dad has a G3 500MHz Pismo Powerbook that he does all his work on. He uses HIS G4 500MHz Tower w/18.1" LCD for gaming. We all know gaming on this mac sucks. So...

We have decided to give my mom the G4 500 with the monitor, and buy ourselves a nice gaming PC. I have priced one out... (pic seen)

So, is that a good PC to build? Here is a link to the case...HERE

And we will buy a new LCD, most likely an 18.1" one. I will still be using my mac in my room, but for gaming/movies/music "sharing", I will use the PC. What do you guys think...

Nerf the processor a bit and use the savings to get something with Serial ATA. +/- a few hundred MHz isn't going to be very noticable, bot hot swappable, fast, non-hassle cables is (SATA's also more future proof).

Definitely go AMD though (although if you wait for Q3, you'll be able to get a really spiffy Athlon64). The nForce2 is an awesome chipset, and AMD's procs are a good deal cheaper for roughly the same performance.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Alpha...

Seems like a nice store, but the price is a little to high for me. Sorry :(

You forgot to add the operating system to what you put together... I also just updated the prices to reflect new changes. Also, the systems include UPS ground shipping.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Still...

The machine I built was like 850.00

It has some pretty sweet specs too. I am sorry to say, but I am pirating Windows XP. I dont want to pay for something that I dont trust. That is why I am using this machine for strictly games.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
With the way heXPee licenses works, good luck in trying to pirate it. You are just begging for trouble if you do it.

As my store shows, you get a license for either 2k or xpee, your choice.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I have to add..... DONT USE EBAY TO BUY A MAC. Macs sell for
insane prices on eBay. 90% of the time, http://www.dealmac.com
will have a better price. The 17" iMac sounds perfect for her to
me, I can't believe she doesn't like it.... :confused:

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Yea

She likes the aspect ratio where the monitor gets taller rather then wider. It maxes excel sheets easier because the colums get bigger, rather then just wider.

Alpha, I know it will be kinda hard, but they have like hacks you run on the copy of xp to make it valid.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Yea

She likes the aspect ratio where the monitor gets taller rather then wider. It maxes excel sheets easier because the colums get bigger, rather then just wider.

Alpha, I know it will be kinda hard, but they have like hacks you run on the copy of xp to make it valid.

You will be better off getting an OEM copy of windows... I can actually get those in both 2k and xp... Why do you want to use hexpee anyway?? Of course, I'm talking the pro versions of both... You're better off doing that then hacking, or cracking, the copy you steal and risking getting into trouble.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Sorry dude, but your mom is just wrong.

If you run a resolution at say 600 pix tall (800 x 600 on a regular monitor) going to a widescreen monitor at a same resolution you'll still have 600 pix tall, just more width. She won't see any more of her spreadsheet on a 4:3 monitor. That's just silly. Oh well.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Actually...

She isnt wrong.

Look at the iBook in 1024x768. Thats 1024 pixels by 768 pixels.

Get apples 20" cinema display. Put it on 1024x768.

Now, do you see that everything is bigger than the iBook? Oh but they are at the same rez.

Look at the height of the 17" iMac. Its like the same height as the 15". All they did is make it 2" wider.

She likes screens to be tall and wide. It makes text bigger.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Re: Re: Yea

Originally posted by AlphaTech
You will be better off getting an OEM copy of windows... I can actually get those in both 2k and xp... Why do you want to use hexpee anyway?? Of course, I'm talking the pro versions of both... You're better off doing that then hacking, or cracking, the copy you steal and risking getting into trouble.

Do that many people get in trouble? Im not trying to be stupid, I am just wondering, who would catch you and how?

I want to use XP because games are being made for it. It is the newest OS and will take advantage of everything to the fullest.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
M$ is cracking down on the piracy issue, which they are doing more with heXPee then previous versions of windows.

As for games, all games run on 2k as well. I have been using 2k for games for over two years now.

Oh, and by the way, heXPee removed many of the options for things that was there with 2k. They also made it more difficult to find where to make the changes. Not good on all counts.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I run XP and I like it just fine, but I can't tell you that it is better
than 2k, because I have never used it. But XP is stable, not that
bad looking, and newer.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by scem0
I run XP and I like it just fine, but I can't tell you that it is better
than 2k, because I have never used it. But XP is stable, not that
bad looking, and newer.

I can't stand all the "bubblegum" that they included in xp. 2k is very stable as well. I had purchased the copy of 2k before xp came out and the only "upgrade" that I would be allowed to do would cost over $200. NOT worth it at all. For people that biatch about the cost of updating the Mac OS for .x versions (such as 10.2 to 10.3, not 10.2 to 10.2.x) they should consider how bad m$ bends you over and inserts the pole.

MacAztec, if your mom still wants a Mac, why not get the low end G4 tower?? If she was using a Mac before, she already has a display that can be used with the new one. You can always get a sweet LCD later you know.

As for the wide screen LCD displays such as in the iMac and PowerBooks, there is NO distortion of any kind. If anything the wider screens makes viewing spreadsheets even better, since you can open it up to show more cells (on the horizontal plane).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.