What mac to buy? So many choices!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by QCassidy352, Nov 12, 2005.

?

What should I replace my powermac G5 with?

  1. mac mini or used powermac G5/dual g4

    4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. imac G5

    14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. powerbook

    8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. nothing - for now

    4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #1
    I've been working with an ibook G4/powermac G5 set up, but I just sold the powermac (long story, but I'd had enough of that particular machine). So, having gotten a nice chunk of change for the PM, it's time to decide what to do. :)

    I could get:

    1) A new desktop to use with my 20" ACD, specifically a used powermac G5/dual G4/mac mini.

    2) An iMac G5, and sell the cinema display.

    3) A powerbook, and sell my ibook. The advantage here is that the ibook can't connect to my display but a powerbook could. Yeah, I can span the ibook screen with the hack, but to connect to a DVI only monitor will require a ~$400 adapter -- no thanks! (I wish the 12" powerbook had gotten a graphics card update, 512 RAM built in, and a new screen...)

    4) Nothing. Just use my ibook and box up the ACD for now, and see what the future brings.

    I'm a law student, and don't *need* anything other than the ibook right now, but it's so much nicer to work on a bigger screen, and to have something faster than an ibook as a main computer. There's not necessarily a rush to buy anything, but nor is there a reason to wait (i.e. intel is not a big deal to me).
     
  2. devilot Moderator emeritus

    devilot

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #3
    PowerBook 15".

    Nice and quiet. And of yeah, portable too. ;)
     
  4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
  5. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #5
    Since you already have the ACD, I'd have to recommend a new dual core
    tower or the Quad if you can save up for the difference.

    After having a dual G5 tower of any configuration, you'll never be satisfied
    with the speed reduction on a single G4 PowerBook.

    If you really want something portable, just add a refurb 1.33 GHz iBook
    and you'll be all set.
     
  6. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #6
    Since you said your not in a rush, I would just wait. Yea i know it sucks to have that 20 ACD monitor do nothin but from what I read, new PB and iMacs may come out sooner than we thought. A new mactel PB might be the thing you want. Protection for the future during the transition and hook up to the 20 ACD monitor.
    Im in the same boat as you minus the ACD monitor. PBG4 here with $3,000 waiting because high school seniors don't need anything more powerful then a PB.
     
  7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #7
    thanks for the good advice, all. :) If I do get another powermac it's going to be used; I don't have the budget or the need for a new dual core. I really like the new imac; it's one of the most appealing macs in years, I'd say. But it just seems such a waste when I already have the monitor!
     
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #8
    Try to hang in there just long enough for the first dual core refurbs to show up then jump on it!

    Now that Apple has finally gone to PCI-express, you should really go for the new Motherboard.

    Try to get by with your iBook until you can afford the better machine.
     
  9. RobHague macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    #9
    The dual-core 2.0Ghz G5 is a nice option if you can extend you budget to that? :) You then get all the advantages of the new revision, quieter, faster and with PCIexpress so you have more upgrade options in future (hopefully).

    Not sure how long it will take them to appear on the refurb pages so if not then id do what was said above, wait for some to appear.
     
  10. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #10
    well, after being on just my ibook for a few days now, I've come to two conclusions: 1) I like having just one machine, and 2) I want to be able to use my 20" screen at my desk again.

    However, connecting the ibook to my ACD would take a $400 adapter, as I mentioned before, and that's not going to happen. Since I have to have a laptop, I'm looking at a powerbook now. The question is, do I buy one now, or wait?

    I know I know - if you need it now, buy it now. But I don't *need* it... I mean, my ibook works just fine. The screen is just too hard to use as a main computer - too small, and not bright enough.

    My favorite powerbook size is the 12", but I can't justify buying one of those. Had apple updated the screen like on the biggers ones, given it 512 RAM standard (like the ibook for goodness' sake), and for the love of god done something about that 5200go masquerading as a video card, then I'd go for it. But the 12" is so horribly underspecced in so many ways that I just can't do it.

    So I could get a 15", but that's a lot more money, and the intels are now rumored to be just a couple of months away. And when the intels do come, will the 12" still exist, or is this the end of the line for it?
     
  11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #11
    I vote: iMac G5! :) Get the 20" if you can afford it. ;)

    I would NOT get a new Powermac (why sell the PM G5 that you have, just to buy another used one, it just doesn't make any sense). As for getting a Powerbook, I don't think there will be a big difference between that and your iBook, and you said you wanted a more powerful computer with large screen.
     
  12. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #12
    thanks for the reply, but please read a bit more fully next time. :)

    As I just posted, I've decided I'm happier with 1 computer than 2, but I absolutely must have a laptop, so imacs and powermacs are now out of the picture.

    The advantage to a powerbook wouldn't so much be the increased speed over my ibook (though the .34 Ghz, 128 MB Radeon 9700, and 5400 RPM HD would make some difference) but rather that I could connect it to the 20" ACD that I already have.

    My ideal would be a 12" powerbook for maximum portabilitly that I could then connect to the ACD while at my desk, but with the state of the 12" PB such as it is, I don't want to do that.

    So what I'm wondering is, do I go for the 15" PB now, or wait for intel and hope that there's a new 12" PB released?
     
  13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #13
    Sorry.

    Definitely wait. I suspect when Apple unveils their Intel machines they won't be lacking on features, and they will also be affordable. This Intel thing will be like Apple's "rebirth" (for lack of a better word).
    If worse comes to worse, and Apple either doesn't update the 12" Powerbook with the others, or discontinue it altogether, then you still won't be losing anything by waiting. Then, just by the 15" Intel.

    And since you don't "need" one now, why not wait?
     
  14. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #14
    yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just getting a little frustrated with this 12" screen, that's all.
     

Share This Page